Dilemma: Build '94 Diamond Back as 'rat' XTR or 'nice' XT?

Your advice?

• Stay the course! Finish the 'Axis Pro Tribute' w/a nearly full XT group, with fresh paint and decals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go 'Rat XTR'! Use the rough XTR bits (& others from ebay), skip powder coating, keep it functional b

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Something else!

• Just go away, now...

• Total voters

kjarrett

Retro Guru
Ok so up to last week, I was on my way towards a winter rebuild of my '94 Diamond Back Axis Pro, including plans to powder coat in gloss black and apply new decals (in-hand, thanks Gil!) I have all the (very nice) XT parts I need except a NOS CS-HG90 12-28 cassette, and when done, I'd have a spiffy, nearly full XT group and a great looking frame. I've been considering this an "Axis Pro Tribute" (since it's XT). In '92 it was spec'd with XTR, and up to now, I had no delusions of being able to build it with those parts.

Then, I came across this knackered Trek 8900 with nearly complete XTR ($100US, thank you Facebook Marketplace) and I started flirting with the idea of using the parts on my bike to build a 'rat' (not so shiny), right proper Axis Pro. I'd skip the powder coating and just clean up the frame as best I could, leaving the damaged decals, major scrapes, etc. to add to the overall look.

I can't decide which way to go. This is (and will remain) my only bike, and will get ridden - but properly and fanatically maintained. I'm OK with dings and scratches, patina if you will, especially if it's all original. I certainly don't want (and can't afford) to build something I only ride occasionally.

Going with XTR means I need some parts (at least a front & rear mech, right shifter) and I'd want to get wheels built around the hubs (some wanker drilled out the Presta rims so Schrader valves would fit - see: https://www.instagram.com/p/CF-w5X1ndOP/). So I don't have any confidence in the rims. :/ The hubs themselves seem ok, they spin easily, no wobble, though the outer surfaces on the axles are a bit crusty. The wheel building cost is my biggest concern, I need to look into that. But I'd save the $ on powder coating, which would be an offset.

Anyway, appreciate any thoughts & ideas.

-kj-

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 252
Hmm, personally I'd clean up and use as much of that XTR as possible and archive all that lovely XT (it's too nice to sell!). Otherwise the bars and stem on that Trek are keepers but the rest can go in the bin. The Diamond Back is a far more interesting and nicer frame in my opinion, but there will be someone on eBay that doesn't share my opinion and will give you £££ for the Trek frame.

red_dread":195yrv3c said:
Hmm, personally I'd clean up and use as much of that XTR as possible and archive all that lovely XT (it's too nice to sell!). Otherwise the bars and stem on that Trek are keepers but the rest can go in the bin. The Diamond Back is a far more interesting and nicer frame in my opinion, but there will be someone on eBay that doesn't share my opinion and will give you £££ for the Trek frame.

Thanks for replying! I just pulled everything apart and will be cleaning / inspecting everything next. Must say, the XTR 12-32 cassette is a thing of absolute beauty, even considering the condition it's in. Just so incredibly engineered and so amazingly light.

I have to start calling some local shops to see what they charge to build a wheel and if they have any rims that would be period correct for this build. Will check eBay as well.

-kj-

Re: Dilemma: Build '94 Diamond Jack as 'rat' XTR or 'nice' XT?

Magpiegifts":sdgz1323 said:
What size is the trek frame?

18" - there is a sticker on the frame saying so, and I confirmed that as a Center to Top measurement. The thing is crazy light.

Back