How to determine wheelset/cassette comparability with my Raleigh Record Sprint x SunTour Superbe build?

MistyCold

Retro Newbie
Hey guys, I have a Raleigh Record Sprint which I’m trying to work with my SunTour components.

At present everything fits well, but the cassette/wheels.
I’m finding the drive chain is slipping when I’m peddling in high torque.
I have a new chains, BB, Crankset, front and rear derailleur.

All that’s outdated is the cassette and wheels (which are slightly bent).

Any how, I’m looking to swap out the wheels and cassette, but struggling to understand what’s compatible…

The sun tour cassette which works with my group set uses a 7-speed with a range of 13Tx24T - (I DONT HAVE THIS BTW)

I’ve found this 7-speed cassette (SunRace CSR63 7-speed Cassette 12-24 × 1), with a Hyperglide freehub body.

My horizontal dropouts are 125-126mm in width.

How do I work out which wheel set will work for me? I.e. the correct width + hyperglide.

Attachments

• 269CCC6F-9543-4C3C-8575-8071C24ED40E.jpeg
    269CCC6F-9543-4C3C-8575-8071C24ED40E.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 9
  • F1748FB9-0ADB-45B0-942A-3C65CA1440BD.jpeg
    F1748FB9-0ADB-45B0-942A-3C65CA1440BD.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 9
is it a cassette you have or a freewheel?
Thanks for the response!

It’s a 7-speed Cassette which uses Shimano Hyperglide.

I bought a 7-speed HG freehub which fits perfectly. The base of the freehub has this fitting shown in the attached photo.

This is the section I got stuck on, because I don’t really understand how this freehub attaches to a wheel or what wheels would be compatible.

I’m desperate to sort the issue as my drive train is slipping horrendously.

Attachments

• 9C049BA5-8CF3-4493-8E8A-DC4A5666C827.jpeg
    9C049BA5-8CF3-4493-8E8A-DC4A5666C827.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Your picture of the wheel shows a standard screw on freewheel type, not cassette

You can unscrew the old one with the correct tool and a big vice and replace it with a new one, anything from shimano or sunrace.

As for the width between sprockets, they are all roughly the same for 6 & 7 spd freewheels

Check out Sheldon Brown's website as it contains far more information

Your picture of the wheel shows a standard screw on freewheel type, not cassette
Hi,

Does that make a difference if I’m replacing the entire wheelset and freewheel?

Basically, the wheels are bent and the freewheel is a 6-speed, which isn’t working well with my new rear derailleur (7-speed).

I should add that the cassette and freehub have been purchased by me and not currently installed on the bike.

Thanks for the response

The derailleur doesn't matter so much, as depending on model, they can index from 5spd all the way to 10spd cassettes but it's very complicated to explain

Look on ebay for a simple wheelset, many come with a cassette or freehub as an option

Here's an inexpensive wheelset

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The derailleur doesn't matter so much, as depending on model, they can index from 5spd all the way to 10spd cassettes but it's very complicated to explain

Look on ebay for a simple wheelset, many come with a cassette or freehub as an option
Cheers.

What could be the cause of the drive train slipping so much.

Basically, when I apply high torque, the gears slip badly and they often jump between different sprocket without me changing gears.

so for example, I was peddling up a steep hill standing up in a high gear, because I was pushing myself.

But what ended up happening was the chain kept jumping around on the freewheel causing my crank arm to momentarily free fall.

Additionally, my rear derailleur has in the past thrown the chain off the freewheel and got it wedges on the chain stay.

Here's an inexpensive wheelset

Cheers, what freewheel or cassette would be comparable with this?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers, what freewheel or cassette would be comparable with this?

Thats for a threaded on freewheel....
Find yourself a sunrace 7 speed freewheel and it will fit. ..your choice of ratios!
Now with chains jumping off ....
A and b screw adjustment must be set first before anything and with cable unattached.
It's most likely your current set up is a worn freewheel but with a new chain and new front chainrings as you've stated...never or rarely works well!

Back