Headset questions

drexal77

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

Hope your all doing well.

Had a bit of random question. Does anyone know if the YST evolution "rambo" headsets were sold for use for mountain bikes. And if the standard YST evolution "non rambo" headsets were for road bike etc. As i recently bought the standard evolution version thinking they were identical. But the rambo is way heavier and the material are way thicker. Or the did the non rambo evolution version come later and they just reduced the weight of them etc?

Also i have seen a couple of gold coloured YST rambo headsets, anyone know there's any difference between the gold and black version?

Very final question. Anyone know how to tighten the top of the headset on with out marking / taking the paint off? I'm guessing an adjustable spanner with a cloth or tapped up jaws is probably the only way?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Very final question. Anyone know how to tighten the top of the headset on with out marking / taking the paint off? I'm guessing an adjustable spanner with a cloth or tapped up jaws is probably the only way?

I can't help with your other questions but to avoid marking you can use a plastic freezer bag or such like (not those piss thin sandwich bags), or workshop blue roll. I'd avoid an adjustable though, they always open out slightly which then puts too much stress on the corners of the nut/hex and causes damage. Proper sized spanners are the best way, along with the plastic bags.

I would guess Evolution refers to the size "Evolution" being the branding for 1 1/4" headsets.
I would not expect road bikes, especially at the turn of the 90's to even have OverSize 1 1/8" headsets, let along even bigger ones.

So no I doubt they made a road version.

Amazing thanks so much for help @Cloverleaf 🙌
No worries. Aluminium spanners are the way to go ideally but I've never seen headset spanners like that and they'd not be very good anyway as they tend to be much fatter jaws. I've got a few sets of those for tightening the aluminium hose fittings on the rally cars. The plastic bag trick is a good one, and very handy!

Ahhh thanks FluffyChicken, you always have good facts, i never new Evolution was the branding for 1 1/4" headsets, so that has shed some light on this. I'll probably never know the answer to the above regarding YST. All i know is the rambo's are more rare, so i'm guessing there were either earlier or more a expensive / better version. Thanks again

Back