Haggling in bike shops

Never any bikes at Sports Direct here, I know some sell cheap bikes but don't think they know anything about working on them
I wouldn't pay more for things that I could get online cheaper
Going back a few years I used to go to LBS for things but just do it all myself now

You pay for them to do stuff you can do yourself?
The problem is if I go into the local bike shop and ask how much I feel awkward saying I can get it cheaper
If I buy online I know how much it's going to be

Last edited:
having had a quick scan through this thread, i thought i'd give a shop owners opinion

discount, sometimes i mind other times i offer it.

so lets clarify it, bike clubs, military, nhs etc, they get discount, don't even have to ask for it.

random people who ask for discount that i don't know and have never met i say "what do i get for the discount?!", "what?", "well if we are bartering what do i get for giving you a deal?!" said with a smile and wink type of attitude.

that usually puts people on the back foot, it's not that i refuse to give them discount or that i won't in that case it's just trying to make people realise that maybe they are not in anyway entitled to it.

i tend to look at things, i'm quite observant and i have a big window out front so i can always see what car they pull up in, so when a local Esso worker (process operators are on about £80,000 a year) turns up in his 2022 AMG Merc and asks for discount on a £30 sale i ask "why? can you get me a deal on diesel at the local station?!"

the truth is people have been told that other people are always trying to rip you off, it's not the case, the average bike shop does not make a fortune, i know i don't, i pay myself £350 a month on average (although the shop pays for a lot of stuff for me, like phone/van/fuel etc) so i'm clearly not minted, so when a rich or well paid guy asks me for discount it's not about the price, it's about getting one over on the shop guy most of the time.

other regular good customers get a certain amount of discount, so i don't consider it a dirty word as such it's just a case of don't be a dick about it, if the guy behind the counter says no then maybe it's because you have passive aggressively threatened mail order, maybe he can't authorise it himself, maybe he remembers something you did that pissed him off last time you were in. or maybe the particular product you are asking for is a crappy mark up item, Hope parts for example are way less profitable than Topeak, but Topeak is not as profitable as unbranded cheap tyres etc.

but in truth maybe you simply shouldn't get discount, it's not a right, it's literally down to the person you deal with, the problem is people expect it with nothing to reciprocate it.

my view is that i don't mind people buying mail order, but be realistic, if you can't get what you want mail order and your local shop has exactly what you need then just buy it, take the hit that it'll cost a little more than mail order (but might just be the recommended price) because the shop bought one of those items not 500 to get a discount from the supplier, also the shop guy then knows you're not a dick and will be open to a bit of a deal the next time because you didn't make it awkward this time.

also the biscuit thing, biscuits are not a substitute for money, it's nice to get some chocolate digestives every now and then but it shouldn't be as a way of saying "but it should be free as i got you biscuits"

it's not rocket science, don't be a dick!

Never any bikes at Sports Direct here, I know some sell cheap bikes but don't think they know anything about working on them
I wouldn't pay more for things that I could get online cheaper
Going back a few years I used to go to LBS for things but just do it all myself now

You pay for them to do stuff you can do yourself?
The problem is if I go into the local bike shop and ask how much I feel awkward saying I can get it cheaper
If I buy online I know how much it's going to be
By Sports Direct I meant ALL the shops they own, including Evans, which, at least my local one, used to be full of good bunch of people. I do Pay them to do stuff I can do and I'm not alone, as supporting them is my way of paying back into the community.

having had a quick scan through this thread, i thought i'd give a shop owners opinion

discount, sometimes i mind other times i offer it.

so lets clarify it, bike clubs, military, nhs etc, they get discount, don't even have to ask for it.

random people who ask for discount that i don't know and have never met i say "what do i get for the discount?!", "what?", "well if we are bartering what do i get for giving you a deal?!" said with a smile and wink type of attitude.

that usually puts people on the back foot, it's not that i refuse to give them discount or that i won't in that case it's just trying to make people realise that maybe they are not in anyway entitled to it.

i tend to look at things, i'm quite observant and i have a big window out front so i can always see what car they pull up in, so when a local Esso worker (process operators are on about £80,000 a year) turns up in his 2022 AMG Merc and asks for discount on a £30 sale i ask "why? can you get me a deal on diesel at the local station?!"

the truth is people have been told that other people are always trying to rip you off, it's not the case, the average bike shop does not make a fortune, i know i don't, i pay myself £350 a month on average (although the shop pays for a lot of stuff for me, like phone/van/fuel etc) so i'm clearly not minted, so when a rich or well paid guy asks me for discount it's not about the price, it's about getting one over on the shop guy most of the time.

other regular good customers get a certain amount of discount, so i don't consider it a dirty word as such it's just a case of don't be a dick about it, if the guy behind the counter says no then maybe it's because you have passive aggressively threatened mail order, maybe he can't authorise it himself, maybe he remembers something you did that pissed him off last time you were in. or maybe the particular product you are asking for is a crappy mark up item, Hope parts for example are way less profitable than Topeak, but Topeak is not as profitable as unbranded cheap tyres etc.

but in truth maybe you simply shouldn't get discount, it's not a right, it's literally down to the person you deal with, the problem is people expect it with nothing to reciprocate it.

my view is that i don't mind people buying mail order, but be realistic, if you can't get what you want mail order and your local shop has exactly what you need then just buy it, take the hit that it'll cost a little more than mail order (but might just be the recommended price) because the shop bought one of those items not 500 to get a discount from the supplier, also the shop guy then knows you're not a dick and will be open to a bit of a deal the next time because you didn't make it awkward this time.

also the biscuit thing, biscuits are not a substitute for money, it's nice to get some chocolate digestives every now and then but it shouldn't be as a way of saying "but it should be free as i got you biscuits"

it's not rocket science, don't be a dick!

Well said and totally agree. Mind you, I do bring biscuits and do buy a round of coffee every so often, but I do not haggle on the price given, as said, if I urgently need someone with a muscle and tools to take that stubborn bottom bracket out without damaging the rest of the bike, there is my local bike shop to help. And if I feel I need a chat about bikes, i can just pop in for few minutes of friendly banter....worth every penny I think.

That’s the nub of it. I think media has taught us we should be wheeler-dealering it, getting the deal, grabbing the bargain. Those antique shows are the worst. Something is labelled at £150 and the guest and expert magically get it for £40. Everyone falls for the magic of telly.

don't be a dick!
Golden rule of life.

Latest posts

Back