Hack bike

On June 5th there is a gravel grinder race that starts 15 miles from home. The hack bike is all set for this. Any bets on it holding up? I anticipate bike failure. I could also fail as these things are long and taxing. It’s 100% self supported on hardly used bush roads, gravel, two track logging skids with no stores, no cell service and not even any unofficial aid stations. It’s easy to get lost as there is no gps download, just a paper map with distances to each turn. Road signage is non existent so names and numbers on the map aren’t helpful. A lot of the road names on the map are local nicknames anyway. There is usually a few groups of stalled cyclists arguing which way to go. I can usually set them straight, but sometimes they won’t listen. An hour later they pass me, ha. The organizers don’t even start the race, everyone lines up and someone goes and then it’s a race. So, no officials out directing the cyclist at intersections. It’s in the Hiawatha National Forrest (USA) and as such there is one primitive campground we go through and see a handful of seldom used cabins. You won’t see many vehicles, which is nice for safety and for lack of dust if it’s dry. When I have managed to finish the finish line folks have run out of beer and gone home, leaving a poor guy lounging in his truck bed waiting to cross me off the start list. I only do the 53 or 100k because it’s 6 pm if I try the 100 miles. The 100 mile riders are long gone when I finish the 100k. It’s all for fun, no prizes but proceeds fund local mb trails. I once road the 100k on a 1950s Columbia single speed tank bike in this. The tank was there but l race prepped it by removing the fenders and chain guard. image.jpg

Mismatched tires (sic), bungee holding the water bottle in place - freakin' love it! Cool as ...

Let us know how you get on 🤞

Mismatched tires (sic), bungee holding the water bottle in place - freakin' love it! Cool as ...

Let us know how you get on 🤞
The new white wall rear tire had a separation at the white wall junction. Last week I had to push four miles of hills and bugs. The inner tube came through the sidewall and cut the tube and I was unable to do field repairs. I ordered new blackwall tires but they won’t be here in time for the event. Don’t forget to notice the rare earth magnets and bailing wire holding the old fashioned universal bike repair tool. Army surplus ammo pouches hanging from the saddle hold tire repair kit and an inner tube.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room. You're bike and ride attempt are inspiring in a "just get out there" kind of way. Have fun!

The Hack Bike and I did the 55k. It was predicted to get to 30 Celsius so I decided 50 was far enough to proof my welds. Almost 3 hours exactly to finish, the welds held up, I saw 4 vehicles and after 3 miles I never saw another cyclist. The fast ones were ahead and the slow ones were somewhere else. It was a good decision to only do the 50 because a half hour after I finished it started to rain. This is the first time riding this event that I didn’t team up with someone. I’m now going to disassemble it for paint.

Bud, you are the genuine article. Hard freakin' core. And you haven't even informed them in which age group you entered... I hope someday to be half the rider you are.

*edit: does anyone know how that "Kona Fan" badge appeared under my name? It isn't untrue, but I feel that it is putting extra pressure on me to finally track down and own one!

The new white wall rear tire had a separation at the white wall junction. Last week I had to push four miles of hills and bugs. The inner tube came through the sidewall and cut the tube and I was unable to do field repairs. I ordered new blackwall tires but they won’t be here in time for the event. Don’t forget to notice the rare earth magnets and bailing wire holding the old fashioned universal bike repair tool. Army surplus ammo pouches hanging from the saddle hold tire repair kit and an inner tube.
Bud, you are the genuine article. Hard freakin' core. And you haven't even informed them in which age group you entered... I hope someday to be half the rider you are.

*edit: does anyone know how that "Kona Fan" badge appeared under my name? It isn't untrue, but I feel that it is putting extra pressure on me to finally track down and own one!
I came home after it and didn’t even unload. I went straight to the couch and took a two hour nap. I drank and ate massive amounts yesterday. I probably gained weight. The last five miles seemed like 10 and I was down to my lowest gear and struggling on the hills, but I didn’t have to hike a bike. Whew. For the 100K I would need a much better and lighter bike and would have to slow down to10 km/hr. It would have been insanely difficult for me to do the 100K on this bike. Good thing it was hot, otherwise I would have tried the 100K. There is also a100 mile course but I’m not ever going to do that, too much sand, ha, ha. Some races here have the top age category as 50+. Or when I ride my single speed klunkers in a race there is only two single speed classes, men and women. That’s ageism. If I enter a bike race with 2000+ riders and use a shifty then they put me in the 70 to 120 year old class. That’s not fair, I have to race against 70 year olds with personal trainers. If I beat one person I’m happy. The amazing thing is it becomes much harder each year after 70 to do this stuff. You don’t really notice any increasing difficulty during your 60s. Empty your bike riding kick the bucket list before 70.

Back