GT Xizang vs Lightning - Differences

To continue this and compare further. I know the pictured Xizang is definitely 97 due to serial number. It also matches in every way to my fully built Xizang which is also 97

This other frame I have below , has 97 decals which I believe are original. It is a G serial but is a later frame (so maybe 96-9:cool:. But has many differences to the confirmed 97 frames.

The brake bosses on this one are a normal style
IMG_5496.jpeg

The braces which run between seat stays and chain stays are much thicker (around 3mm more)
IMG_5499.jpeg IMG_5500.jpeg

Also the end cap sticks out further much more like GTs tend to do (apart from Psyclone)

IMG_5501.jpeg IMG_5502.jpeg

Also the cable routing is slightly different

IMG_5503.jpeg

This 3rd frame must be at least 96 due ti having the loop for canti. But has the made in USA stamp and G serial same as earlier frames. I’d guess it’s a 95/96 built but actually was sold in 97.

The GT cable routing is always interesting. Does a bit of housing liner tube just hang through the ring after wrapping around the seat tube? Or is it that extra thick tubing they used?

There was a question about that arrangement on another forum and I had thought it was a bodge, but was apparently the stock setup.

No you could get a small bolt on piece that held the cable so you can use a Canti. . I’ve never seen one for sale.

Has anyone owned one of the Xizangs with a steel rear end? I have a catalogue with one in it, but have never seen one, nor heard of anyone owning one?

Yes Jamie Lynn has one. It’s truly a lovely thing and very rare

And don’t forget the steel Xizang of 89. Complete with browning bits.

Last edited:
Yes Jamie Lynn has one. It’s truly a lovely thing and very rare

And don’t forget the steel Xizang of 89. Complete with browning bits.
I always found the mixed material frames (Nishiki, Gary Fisher, etc) interesting. I assumed that the complexity and weight of these negated the benefits, hence why they disappeared.

Back