Great early MTB Brands that are not what they used to be...

Re:

I like your thinking Skynet

I'll post Yeti up there as a starter for 10 then :)

What of Boulder bicycles, does anyone know if the are still going in the original form?

I'd like to rate Tom Ritchey's bikes as still up there - but I've no experience of what they are like today, but they guy is a legend in my book and his contribution to the industry has been extensive (and I'd love one of his mountain bikes still, it would have to be a retro one though in red/white/blue with Logic fork and components ;)

I know that the current Ritchey frames are made in Taiwan, but they do look neat. I wonder how the quality is? I do love the Ritchey team colors.
FTW and Steve Potts still make frames so I would count them as still great, Moots are still making great bikes (even though their new Ti full susser is ugly as sin) Funk cycles are still around under their original owner, Rock Lobster is still around. Some brands I think are better today than they were back in the day, Scott for example. I never thought of their bikes as being desirable bitd. but since they jumped on the carbon bandwagon early, they do make some cutting edge bikes now. Cannondale had some ups and downs but I think they're going strong nowadays.

Still going ?

RaceFace, just and to be honest probably still what it use to be but in a modern bike setting.

Rocky Mountain, not quite what it use to be but as far as I now they still do decent bikes and people like them.

On-One, they're getting old now. Run a bit like Orange but have a more 'Early Orange' outlook than Orange do currently.
I always think of them as a Clockwork, they plod along, do nowt brilliantly but work fine and are cheap for what you get.
But they didn't quite start in the pre 97 retro era.

Specialized...

Re:

Yes I'd agree with that re. On-one and Orange. I sold a P7 frame recently and which I'd kept it, it was a nice ride (I still have my VitT2 though which for me personally was Orange at their best).

Specialized and Canonndale I would say - both have made some great bikes over the years, but certainly are not what they used to be. I love the early Specialized bikes (mainly because they were steel and still going strong) - after buying an early Rockhopper last year. I would like a really early Stumpjumper from the '80s as its such a significant and long-standing model. Specialized are certainly innovators though and have never stood still - massive contribution to the industry both on and off road.

Re: Re:

masha":14h95j4t said:
I like your thinking Skynet

I'll post Yeti up there as a starter for 10 then :)

What of Boulder bicycles, does anyone know if the are still going in the original form?

I'd like to rate Tom Ritchey's bikes as still up there - but I've no experience of what they are like today, but they guy is a legend in my book and his contribution to the industry has been extensive (and I'd love one of his mountain bikes still, it would have to be a retro one though in red/white/blue with Logic fork and components ;)

My new Yeti came with a rather large head badge, it said.........."MADE IN TAIWAN".

And despite this, im ashamed to say it makes my "British" built Orange full suspension feel like im riding a beached whale up the white cliffs of Dover. (fact).

syncrosfan":1gv9kxl0 said:
I know that the current Ritchey frames are made in Taiwan, but they do look neat. I wonder how the quality is? I do love the Ritchey team colors.
FTW and Steve Potts still make frames so I would count them as still great, Moots are still making great bikes (even though their new Ti full susser is ugly as sin) Funk cycles are still around under their original owner, Rock Lobster is still around. Some brands I think are better today than they were back in the day, Scott for example. I never thought of their bikes as being desirable bitd. but since they jumped on the carbon bandwagon early, they do make some cutting edge bikes now. Cannondale had some ups and downs but I think they're going strong nowadays.

Sadly I disagree on the Cannondale point, Not what they were, by a long way, went bust changed hands and far east produced, with a shocking UK presence in comparison to the 90s.

Re:

I can't comment on any other brands as I ain't got their modern offerings, I'm very happy with the build quality of my 2014 Ritchey. The new frame is easily as well put together as my 1989 Ritchey IMO.

Taiwan stuff was always well put together but there was always the sweatshop image of a gun to the head of the welder.

Re:

I think a lot of it is folk viewing things through rose tinted glasses.
A lot of the brands from 20 or so years ago are still around and doing well, things have changed and the companies have changed with that, there's a lot of fantastic bikes being produced at the moment, and there were 20 odd years ago as well, but you can't really compare old and new , they're different beasts.

X-Lite though..... What happened to them?? :facepalm:

Back