Great early MTB Brands that are not what they used to be...

masha

Kona Fan
IMHO - an anyone spot the correlation here:

Muddy Fox
Ridgeback
Saracen
Barracuda

Back in the early days (and possibly as late as 1995), most of these brands were well respected in their field. I think I would summarise by saying they 'sold their soul' - or brand names, and production techniques had a drastic change in direction.

Muddy Fox has to be a good example of how the mighty have fallen: - late '80s in the UK I would have sold a private part to obtain one. Today, the name still exists but is sold through the Sports Direct stores, and, lets just say.... they don't make 'em like they used to (and are simply trading on a name that more people associate with being 'budget' these days). However, some would argue the mighty have gone "strength to strength" and today make more units and profit through volume sales than was imaginable in the '80s.

Then there is the mid'90s US mighty conglomerate that saw the likes of Trek, Fisher, Klein etc 'join forces' I won't quite label all of these with the same level of kudos demise as the above, but I think its fair to say things were never quite the same (and you've only got to compare the value and desirability today of a "pre-Trek" Klein to see what followed).

It happened with 'trick bits' too - can anyone recall just how cool certain component manufacturers were (eg Curve and White Industries) in the early days before similarly selling their designs to the big bicycle manufacturers to mass produce in the far east.

That's globalisation for you, and I find it interesting how US, GB, Europe came up with most of the early design and build, and then the Japanese started making it all, then the Taiwanese, then the Malaysian's and finally the Chinese. These days anything MTB marked 'made in Japan' is starting to look quite appealing quality-wise, whereas 10 years ago I wanted as much of my bike as possible to made in the UK or US.

After watching Klunkers DVD this year, I'm fascinated by the early Ritchey, Fisher, Breezer bikes, and then the 1981 Specialized stump-jumper that paved the way to far-eastern mass production of what was still a good quality bike: - but made in the sort of numbers to make available to the masses worldwide.

Its amazing how the Mountain bike changed the dynamic of the cycle industry forever over a fairly short time period.

Discuss :) and can anyone else think of any great brands that are not what they used to be (although I appreciate some may not like to say for fear of upsetting later retro-bikers, or even upsetting the manufacturer's :eek: (but then its all just personal opinion and an observation of 30 years of messing about with bikes). It would be great if certain brands could make a come back as quality products again, but I appreciate those days are probably gone as its not practical or economically viable to do things how they used to - its a shame though, but then that's what makes retro-bikes Grrrrrrrrrreat! ;)

Happy Klunkering

Re:

How bout Klein?

From this…..
attitude90sivu.jpg

To this…… in ten short years
attitudeL.gif

Re:

That's just progress imo. Some companies thrive, some diversify, others go under.
I think most of the ideology had gone from the Bike industry these days, it's purely marketing, which you would expect really.
Even from the early days most production frames were produced in Asia, they had the production capacity , the experience, and it was relatively cheaper than producing in the UK or USA.
Interesting to see the Fat Chance brand being (hopefully) reborn, it will never be "as we remember it" , but interesting to see how the business goes forward, or if it burns bright for a while before fading away again.

Exactly - and an interesting case in question as I've ridden a later Attitude and it was actually a good ride with some good forks up front. The difference with the earlier one I guess factors like:
- virtually bespoke design on lots of integrated components and finish
- astonishing attention to detail in frame construction including exquisite finish and paintwork
- a lot more expense for and a much smaller market
But its certainly special and I would love one (but then so would most retro-bikers), but it would have to have MC1 and the rigid alloy fork (although probably not to ride, but hang on the wall; - the 'Dolomite' Klein Attitude is virtually a work of art when seen like that, so might as well be preserved and displayed like one).

How about: Nuke Proof, Brodie, Syncros to name a few. The name is still around but it's certainly not the same brand anymore.

Actually, in the last couple of years I don't think you can put Saracen in that category - Manon Carpenter rode a Myst to the Championship and Worlds titles, and the Ariel full suspension range was very well received and highly regarded.

Ridgeback are now Genesis and are as big as they ever were I'd say.

A few years back I would have put Mongoose in that category, but with Chris Akrigg (amongst others) riding for them, they're beginning to get back in the game.

Similarly, GT and Kona both lost their way a bit (the Halfords years) but with their new ranges in the last couple of years they're back in the fold too.

Maybe Marin? They don't seem to be as prominent as they used to, but their new bikes look pretty decent.

I don't think you can say the ideology has gone now, not at all - there's plenty of small to mid-sized companies producing awesome bikes for the love of riding as opposed to trying to cash in on the industry: Niner, Transition, Bird, Cotic, YT, Turner, Nicolai, Liteville, Pivot... I could keep going ad infinitum! I think these days we're just exposed to much more "media" about everything, so sometimes it feels as though it's all about the marketing.

Pace were very much at the cutting edge. Now... some well designed frames (mass produced abroad) a few years back. Seem to be in the doldrums these days, although they have got a new frame out.

I like my Zaskar because it was one of the few fat tubed frames to be built in the US rather than in some sweat shop.

Marin had almost disappeared in 2011 with Whyte all but replacing them. Kona almost vanished too as the then importer dropped them.

Ringle, Manitou, Syncros, WTB and Nuke Proof instantly spring to mind. All once low volume, high quality and very expensive components and frames. Nowadays they are just brand names with new corporate owners and made in the far east to cater for the mass market.

Merlin and Litespeed have no connection to their former selves, other than the brand name, but they are still low volume and made in the US so I guess many new buyers don't care about the history so much...

Then you have firms such as Ibis and Pace, boutique companies still in original ownership but the manufacturing is now outsourced to Taiwan and the HQ only serves as a design and distribution centre.

As for companies that have resisted the lure of the corporate dollar... Orange, Turner, Yeti and Moots spring to mind. Yeti changed hands in 2001 but was bought by a couple of current employees and still makes the frames in Colorado, as do Moots. Orange have always outsourced much of their production but they still build some of their frames in the UK, just like its always been and Turner are still in original ownership and US made.

Back