Gravel? Don’t laugh! I’m just thinking out loud. Itch scratched

I did the Cinder Track from Whitby to Ravenscar last month on my converted tourer with knobbly 30c tyres, no problem. Very little to worry about in terms of rough, rim-threatening surfaces. I would recommend a slight detour en-route to Boggle Hole. As you leave and get to the brow of the hill turn right past the farm to a steep descent and the craziest ford crossing ever. Rather than crossing the river the road goes left and uses the river bed for 100yds. Bonkers, and great fun. 8F3B4E0F-C822-41FC-84C7-074A8D334298.jpeg

Attachments

• 81361649-0197-4D25-BBB0-71C390FC734A.jpeg
    81361649-0197-4D25-BBB0-71C390FC734A.jpeg
    850.7 KB · Views: 15
If I was out walking and a middle aged looned past shouting kowa bunga I'd be highly amused....infact you'd get a bellowed Banzai' back!
I did see a Marin Sausalito in the for sale or eBay section.....I highly rate them....wish I still had one.
Plenty fast enough on road plenty tough off road,
All steel,cantis,tyre clearance a plenty,rack and guards mounts! Zolatone too! And cheap 👍

You sound like my Dad
Why has no one talked about reach? Ok tyre clearance important (just go as big as you can) and frame angles (my Roadrat has steep HA) but reach is vital. I went for med Roadrat even though I am 5-7 because I wanted flat bars not drop. Being on the hoods of drops would make the med too long for me. But conversely the small would be too short with drops. It’s an important consideration….

Why has no one talked about reach? Ok tyre clearance important (just go as big as you can) and frame angles (my Roadrat has steep HA) but reach is vital. I went for med Roadrat even though I am 5-7 because I wanted flat bars not drop. Being on the hoods of drops would make the med too long for me. But conversely the small would be too short with drops. It’s an important consideration….
Good point. I’m a 60cm road frame with 57cm top tube but to replicate this in a gravel-ready frame I have to go down to a 54cm seat tube on the Spa Elan.

And toe overlap (related to wheelbase).

A Hybrid is not a road bike. It's built specifically for a flat bar, some off road capability and some comfort.

What you want then is a lightweight xc 29er mountain bike, bang up to date carbon frame, xc tyres like Vittoria mezcal and a sid up front.

A Santa Cruz highball or similar.

You ain't going to cobble that together with a carbon road frame or a 1990s MTB.

Or just be happy going a bit slower.
This is where the top end hybrids of the early to late 00s come into their own, the specialized Sirrus carbon you can fit 40mm tyres with room to spare, it has FACT 9M carbon (same as the stumpjumper FSR from a few years back). This is the best 'gravel' road bike I could have hoped for, mudguard/rack eyelets too! I run it with 40mm corretec slicks that are around 370g
Additionally, the Globe Pro/Expert from 2007/8, you can fit 50mm wide tyres on them, I run two, one with drops/road transmission and one with flat bar and MTB based
Just a little waffle about Hybrids. For one reason or another overtime they got morphed and marketed for city or commuting duties, presumably targeting people who didn't want a road bike with drop bars. Most of these are pretty naff.

The ideal Hybrids are top end stuff with roots planted in off road excursions, light long distance multi-terrain touring etc.

There is a lovely example here on Page 3 of what I mean:
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads...oga-miyata-terraliner-carbolite.425709/page-3

I
I got onto hybrids with my 2001 Ridgeback Genesis Day 02, bought in 2002 and I've been using a flat bar for the majorityof my miles since. Now have 3 specialized globe bikes, one 50 mile old 'pro' in storage for down the road.
The original Globe pro I bought in 2009, used for everything including going up some of the lower slopes of the Alps, audax, offroad, commuting, utility and the last one is an 'Elite' (also wth cf seat stays/forks) that I fitted drops and mini Vs + road triple c/set and is touring focused but again has been used for everything. The above sirrus carbon I mention is a very special bike, silly light for it type, sub 8kg inl pedals and a Apex double, shimanon Ultegra 11 speed flat shifters ad some Shimano Pro carbon goodies. It's robust and has much of the qualities of the Globe but more road focused yet is fantastic for off/on road aside from the deepest of muddy sections.
There were a few high end hybrids, a Marin ALP, Trek 7.7FX and some others

I use 32/28mm tyres for the most part on the Globe and have gone down some horribly rutted routes even when the tyres were pumped up mainly for road use, the carbon forks/stays plus 27.2mm USE Alien carbon post help, the CF bars on the Sirrus and the Globe Pro add even more comfort over an ally bar.

The OP is fine with the carbon road bike, personally I'd try to get lighter not more robust tyres, I bagged some Giant PSL2s years back and are miles better than conti4 seasons, come in at 270-280g for a 28mm (comes up nearly 30mm on a 17c rim, more meat in the centre of the tyre, off centre join (not dead centre like most makers), sidewalls are more flexible and they roll significantly better than the 4S. I was so impressed I bought as many as I could find, Rutland had been selling them heavily discounted for £8 IIRC, I'd bought two as a punt then so impressed I went hunting for more. With latesx tubes, that would make his CB pretty much bang on for a bit of off roading without sacrificing too much on rougher terrain.

@tonyf39 I thought the PSL2 was a slick all weather road tyre?

This is where the top end hybrids of the early to late 00s come into their own, the specialized Sirrus carbon you can fit 40mm tyres with room to spare, it has FACT 9M carbon (same as the stumpjumper FSR from a few years back). This is the best 'gravel' road bike I could have hoped for, mudguard/rack eyelets too! I run it with 40mm corretec slicks that are around 370g
Additionally, the Globe Pro/Expert from 2007/8, you can fit 50mm wide tyres on them, I run two, one with drops/road transmission and one with flat bar and MTB based

I got onto hybrids with my 2001 Ridgeback Genesis Day 02, bought in 2002 and I've been using a flat bar for the majorityof my miles since. Now have 3 specialized globe bikes, one 50 mile old 'pro' in storage for down the road.
The original Globe pro I bought in 2009, used for everything including going up some of the lower slopes of the Alps, audax, offroad, commuting, utility and the last one is an 'Elite' (also wth cf seat stays/forks) that I fitted drops and mini Vs + road triple c/set and is touring focused but again has been used for everything. The above sirrus carbon I mention is a very special bike, silly light for it type, sub 8kg inl pedals and a Apex double, shimanon Ultegra 11 speed flat shifters ad some Shimano Pro carbon goodies. It's robust and has much of the qualities of the Globe but more road focused yet is fantastic for off/on road aside from the deepest of muddy sections.
There were a few high end hybrids, a Marin ALP, Trek 7.7FX and some others

I use 32/28mm tyres for the most part on the Globe and have gone down some horribly rutted routes even when the tyres were pumped up mainly for road use, the carbon forks/stays plus 27.2mm USE Alien carbon post help, the CF bars on the Sirrus and the Globe Pro add even more comfort over an ally bar.

The OP is fine with the carbon road bike, personally I'd try to get lighter not more robust tyres, I bagged some Giant PSL2s years back and are miles better than conti4 seasons, come in at 270-280g for a 28mm (comes up nearly 30mm on a 17c rim, more meat in the centre of the tyre, off centre join (not dead centre like most makers), sidewalls are more flexible and they roll significantly better than the 4S. I was so impressed I bought as many as I could find, Rutland had been selling them heavily discounted for £8 IIRC, I'd bought two as a punt then so impressed I went hunting for more. With latesx tubes, that would make his CB pretty much bang on for a bit of off roading without sacrificing too much on rougher terrain.
It would be nice to see photos of some of those bikes.

@tonyf39 I thought the PSL2 was a slick all weather road tyre?
it is, I still use it for off road, nothing serious mindbbecause it's mostly tarmac I'm on (rear on both my globes are 32mm Voyager Hypers). I rarely drop below 65psi either (usually cos I'm lazy at checking tyre pressures) but If I decide to have an off road lleisure ride then I'd use the slick corretec 40mm or a 35mm contiCX 'speed' depending on how much tarmac I'll be riding on and the off road terrain. I do it because I like the choice and am fortunate to have the space for mulitple bikes, wheelsets and tyres.

I used to occasionally go off road with 23mm tyres 20 odd years ago with the veritable Rubino Pros, it wasn't easy and it really tested your handling skills but it was doable if you wanted to take a shortcut or do a bridleway in the summer etc clearly not ideal by any stretch but it was doable.

So 28mm tyres and off road riding, well I'd deffo go folders and latex tubes (I'm not into tubeless but it might be an option for some) and I'd certainly not go with a heavy/puncture protective type either. I think I've had 3 punctures over many thousands of miles over the 8-9 years with the Giant incl some really flinty sections.

if you can get wider under the arch then great, it'll be a good crack no matter what you do.

Back