Grand Opening of the Marin Museum of Bicycling

Repack Rider":23t5lur2 said:
Dropped by the museum today to see how the day-to-day operation was going. There were plenty of visitors, who paid to enter, so the museum has an income. Joe Breeze was deep in his explanation of some of the bikes on display.

It's hard to overstate how happy everyone involved seems to be that the long wait is over and they can enjoy their new museum.

Jon, I guess your film is still at the photo shop. When will you add your images to the thread?

What a shame there's an entry fee

Re: Re:

al-onestare":af4crkct said:
Pretty sure it's not a charity so an entry fee is fine.

From the website

The Marin Museum of Bicycling is a nonprofit organization that educates the public and expands appreciation of bicycling through displays and programs on bicycle history and culture.

As a bicycle cultural center, we promote bicycling as a way of life for fun, fitness, sustainability and sport.

And to be fair, nowt wrong with a charity charging an entry fee, I just thought it would have been even better if there had been sponsorship/a business plan to make it work without a entry fee

Obvs everyone here would pay the ten bucks, but less committed passers by, maybe not

Anyways, sure its fantastic and will try to get out there soon

Repack Rider":aau74cgz said:
Jon, I guess your film is still at the photo shop. When will you add your images to the thread?

sorry! got back last tuesday, went straight to wales to ride on wednesday, thursday and friday, spent the last 2 days getting a Ben a job! we both start work tomorrow, will try and sort it out in a moment, pics are on Flikr so that should make it easier!
:D

Re:

ok, so first i'd like to thank Charlie and Pat for showing us the trails, that was great in itself, riding with new bike friends from across the other side of the planet is cool.

what is also cool is sitting in a bar after that ride and talking about bikes and history, i could have sat and listened to you guys for hours!

also Ben my travelling buddy (only 26 years old) was really surprised to beable to trace the history of his 2013 Stumpjumper back to the prototypes made by Tom Ritchey for Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly for Mike Sinyard to later become Specialized bikes, that's something he was unaware of as being a younger chap to him mountain bikes have always been around, to realise that the guys he was riding with were there at the beginning of mountain bikes and laid the foundation for what they would become was an eye opener for him, especially when we were lucky enough to be let into the museum 2 weeks before the opening (for free!) and given a little tour which was awesome :cool:

anyway, here are some pics, in no particular order!

outside the Museum, with Ben, Charlie and Pat
Untitled by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

ok, more pics to come wasn't sure which image code thing to grab!!

the Repack Wall of Fame!
IMG_3458_2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_3468_2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_3469_2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

onto the pub! wall mounted bike racks so theft while drinking isn't an issue! :D

speed down the hill to Fairfax

the museum bikes

breezer number ?

early kelly fisher mountain bikes built by Tom Ritchey (CK feel free to correct me, i was a little overwhelmed by what i saw!)

IMG_3493_2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_3497_2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_3499_2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_3503_2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

early hope brake

IMG_3506_2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

Yeah cheers for sharing, great to see.
First time I've seen those cowled dropouts up close on the Koski...very cool.

Back