Funk A.S.F; another unicorn…

This, I can say with a high degree of certainty is a Funk A.S.F and until yesterday the only image I’d ever seen was the grainy, black and white one in the 1994 Funk brochure and believe me I’ve been looking :rolleyes: .

This isn’t a build thread! Although I would dearly love to add it to “the trunk of Funk” it might as well be on the moon as it’s somewhere in Jakarta…

I wasn’t sure where to post this but thought some of you might be interested as this is rare. What do you think? As you can see it's had some modifications over the years! I’m guessing that it’s the steel version as it’s painted? It reminds me of an AMP (B3?) but the chainstay pivot is different. Is there something similar on a different bike?

Any idea what A.S.F stands for? Is that shock an off the shelf item or is it bespoke?

Interested to hear your thoughts.View attachment 527725View attachment 527726View attachment 527727
Hello, it's my bike. I'm sorry for the slow response but I'm really busy now. The bike is in a difficult position to photograph and now there are lots of other stuff inside the room. But here are some photos from months or years ago from my archive, doubt it will help to identify ✌. I will have a house move at the weekend. I'll try to send some photos after that. Cheers

This, I can say with a high degree of certainty is a Funk A.S.F and until yesterday the only image I’d ever seen was the grainy, black and white one in the 1994 Funk brochure and believe me I’ve been looking :rolleyes: .

This isn’t a build thread! Although I would dearly love to add it to “the trunk of Funk” it might as well be on the moon as it’s somewhere in Jakarta…

I wasn’t sure where to post this but thought some of you might be interested as this is rare. What do you think? As you can see it's had some modifications over the years! I’m guessing that it’s the steel version as it’s painted? It reminds me of an AMP (B3?) but the chainstay pivot is different. Is there something similar on a different bike?

Any idea what A.S.F stands for? Is that shock an off the shelf item or is it bespoke?

Interested to hear your thoughts.View attachment 527725View attachment 527726View attachment 527727
Forgot the photos 🙈

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_155228_200.jpg
    IMG_20211222_155228_200.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20211222_154320.jpg
    IMG_20211222_154320.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20211222_154220.jpg
    IMG_20211222_154220.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 179
  • FB_IMG_1640162123138.jpg
    FB_IMG_1640162123138.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 203
Wahoo! Welcome to RB and sorry for pestering you for so long... 😁

Looking forward to seeing the photos and getting the back story.

Have a good Natal!

Awesome Spectacular Fantastic!

Last edited:
Hello, it's my bike. I'm sorry for the slow response but I'm really busy now. The bike is in a difficult position to photograph and now there are lots of other stuff inside the room. But here are some photos from months or years ago from my archive, doubt it will help to identify ✌. I will have a house move at the weekend. I'll try to send some photos after that. Cheers

Welcome to Retrobike! It seems like you have a lot of nice bikes there. I still haven't seen any interesting old mountain bikes in Indonesia, but maybe there are fewer in Sumatra.

I’ve been studying the photos (again!) and hadn’t noticed (or appreciated) that the rear pivot is on the seatstay not the chainstay i.e. not a Horst Link as first I thought (see #15) but a single pivot/Faux bar.

I’ve not read the AMP patent claims but I’m guessing this was outside the IP, so no license fee was necessary. However, at a quick glance they do look very similar but having reread the brochure blurb it clearly says, “Seat stay pivot above rear dropout maintaining rear wheel rigidity”, so it’s been there the whole time!

Would it be too controversial to suggest that there’s a shared lineage in this and a new La Ruta? I’d even go as far to say that it was the genesis...

La Ruta.jpg
Ancient Sibling. Family?

Last edited:
Hello, happy new year. I already took some videos but I can't post them here because the file is too big. Is there any way I could send the videos?

I don't think the forum supports video, so I think it will have to be stills or a link to Vimeo, YouTube etc.

Ristonesian sent me the videos and here are a few frames that hopefully help answer some of the outstanding questions/doubts. Incidentally, I’ve also sent them to Daryl - hopefully he’ll get back to me shortly (fingers crossed...).

Head tube and cable stops look pretty close to my ’94 Force Gs and the tubing clearly is not steel or titanium, but aluminium.

As the drop-out doesn’t have the Funk stamp it has more in common with the ’93 Force G, which apparently was made from Columbus Altec OR.

Altec came in different diameters to Easton VariLite, so we might be able to make an educated guess once we know what the OD is of the various tubes.
ASF_head tube.JPG ASF_cable stop.JPG ASF_SS cable stop.JPG IMG_7321.JPG IMG_7319.JPG
Aluminum Suspension Frame?

Last edited:
Here are some shots of the swing arm & pivot. I’m telling myself that they’re consistent with the Force G & Gs but I could do with a second opinion!

Can anyone ID the shock?
ASF_swing arm pivot2.JPG ASF_swing arm.JPG ASF_swing arm_shock mount.JPG Funk Force G_BB.jpg Funk Force Gs_BB.JPG ASF_shock.JPG
Analysis Search Find…

Last edited:
Back