Fixing a Victorian

I tried a high intensity flashlight but it was in the way of the collet photo. I used a gooseneck reading light and was able to only get a poor picture of the collet binder. Perhaps collet isn’t the right word but that’s what I call it. It looks like the part that pulls up might be a little tapered but it’s hard to see. It has 4 or 5 slots cut into the collet. You can see one slot in the bottom of the seat tube. I’m going to have to run my brake cylinder hone in there. 9795F3EB-F550-4A34-A25C-57FECB0D067B.jpeg

I know there's a locknut, (not in that photo.) I'm wondering if there's also a lockring or something in there too? The collet doesn't look to be more than about 1 1/2" deep. Do you think it's possible to get the collet out? or would you prefer to leave it in there, as long as it functions?

Reactions: Woz
I know there's a locknut, (not in that photo.) I'm wondering if there's also a lockring or something in there too? The collet doesn't look to be more than about 1 1/2" deep. Do you think it's possible to get the collet out? or would you prefer to leave it in there, as long as it functions?
No lock ring, just a big old fancy nut. It won’t come out, gets tight. It’s deeper than 1 1/2“. Perhaps 2 or a little more. The slot starts about 1.5 inches down. The photo is wkrp. Can’t really tell much. I can’t tell for sure how it’s built.

Nabeaquam, As you figured out, while you were out in the sunshine in a great part of the world, we across across pond took to try and figure this out because we find it fascinating. We had bad storms and all sorts and it get us thinking. If it helps you or not that is questionable, you are in the action seat, we are mere spectators, and curious spectators at that and we are behind you to get this wonderful machine road worthy.

What does the nut look like? I'm still not sure if the collet clamps the seat post by being pulled up or driven down in the seat-lug.

Nabeaquam, As you figured out, while you were out in the sunshine in a great part of the world, we across across pond took to try and figure this out because we find it fascinating. We had bad storms and all sorts and it get us thinking. If it helps you or not that is questionable, you are in the action seat, we are mere spectators, and curious spectators at that and we are behind you to get this wonderful machine road worthy.

What does the nut look like? I'm still not sure if the collet clamps the seat post by being pulled up or driven down in the seat-lug.
Hehe we're all back to stick our noses in his collet 😁
No lock ring, just a big old fancy nut. It won’t come out, gets tight. It’s deeper than 1 1/2“. Perhaps 2 or a little more. The slot starts about 1.5 inches down. The photo is wkrp. Can’t really tell much. I can’t tell for sure how it’s built.
That stays put...if it's good enough...perfect 👍

D3F1FF09-D349-49FA-B83C-A09A920CE537.jpeg
I’m not sure if it goes up or down, on either of my collet bicycles. I always assumed it went up, but I never thought about it. Here is the collet nut. Looks like it pulls it up to me. But that might not be right either. Too many strange ideas here, threaded bars and gooseneck, wiggly ziggly brass seams, big diameter thin seamed tubing, brazed tubing seams, big frame with the seat on the top tube, possible pseudo double butting by brazing in a honey comb insert, collet binder, inch pitch, block chain, wood rims with high pressure shellacked on fragile light weight single tube tires, funky two piece crank and a weird uncomfortable riding position with bars that have no alternate hand positions. Sure has been an eye opener. I’m amazed by what my bicycle archeology has uncovered. By 1912 bicycles were more like they are now, at least mine is.

Last edited:
Goddamit the suspension ;)

Discovery Channel material. I get bored of people trying to suss out how the Pyramids in Giza were made.

This is on a different level.

Thanks, I like the interest as I would just think the bike is strangely built and not give it another thought. The interest has really helped me appreciate this bike. I wish it was in better shape, it was heavily used. The goal is to have it rideable again. You all seem to know more about fixing bikes proper, I’m pretty useless at that.

Goddamit the suspension ;)

Discovery Channel material. I get bored of people trying to suss out how the Pyramids in Giza were made.

This is on a different level.
Got dam, got dam, da suspension man and da beer truck man. Rigid riding skills and trundling will take you anywhere a full suspension will. You might need a rappelling kit to help with the trundling.

• Haha
I dunno if my drawings help anyone, or if they're an accurate representation of what's going on here? Anyway- here's another.
It strikes me that if the collet assembly is 2+" deep, it may be (and have been) too long to get in or out via the bb? though I can see it's a large diameter shell by current standards.

Attachments

• 20220627_105212.jpg
    20220627_105212.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back