Fixing a Victorian

I've been wondering this point....I very much doubt it tho...they were savvy but not masochists! The collet would compress enough to go past that shoulder ok...going by diameters and wall thicknesses it's a very fine taper that'll hold amazingly well but with age,missuse and overtightening not worth the risk trying to get it out.
I bet the collet sits on the Internal sleeve btw stopping it from sliding down..the dimpled stuff!

Yep, that sounds more like it. Agree, brazing in a "locknut ring" would be a risky business.

A machined shoulder at the bottom of the taper in the lug would be more sensible to stop it falling out. No shoulder at the top of the collet.

Poor Torqueless ....... blue print version 4.0 :LOL:

Yep, that sounds more like it. Agree, brazing in a "locknut ring" would be a risky business.

A machined shoulder at the bottom of the taper in the lug would be more sensible to stop it falling out. No shoulder at the top of the collet.

Poor Torqueless ....... blue print version 4.0 :LOL:
I reckon they'd of reamed the shoulder most likely into the internal laminate of seatube that'd give a good shoulder 👍

Yes poor torqueless....I know that feeling...back to the drawing board. Story of my life 😂

Ok so it'd have been stupid to braze it!
Unless it's an integral part of the seat lug there's obviously something in there- it's not just an 130-year accumulation of gunk? Maybe we can ask Nabeaquam to give it a bit of wire brush or something?

I dunno if my drawings help anyone, or if they're an accurate representation of what's going on here? Anyway- here's another.
It strikes me that if the collet assembly is 2+" deep, it may be (and have been) too long to get in or out via the bb? though I can see it's a large diameter shell by current standards.
Your drawing looks like what I see. The collet moves up. Here is the nut. It’s flat on the bottom. It draws the collet up towards the top of the seat tube. image.jpg

:)

That's quiet some diameter too. Again, looks incredibly well made and very elegant at the top.

It'll be loose as it is...put a finger through nut and into collet ...pull collet up with finger twiddle nut onto thread then post in and nip it up!
I want a colleted seatpost now...hhmm got me wondering about making one now 😁
I tried to look up old patents for a collet post, no luck. The phosphoric acid treatment, a product called Ospho, is really almost a primer, it has to dry. I pored it into the frame and it made the collet crusty and stiff. I put the post in, wiggled it until the threads came out and tighten the collet nut until the post just got tight, so it still works. After it’s painted I’ll lube and clean it. If you put Ospho on rusty nuts and bolts that have had the rust removed to bare metal the threads won’t work, they grew from the Ospho.

:)

That's quiet some diameter too. Again, looks incredibly well made and very elegant at the top.
The post is a tube the gallows is solid. It’s very elegant. Somehow the hollow tube is solid at the top so that the gallows can be attached, I assume with brazing. The bottom of the gallows is flat. Most old gallows posts have a round gallows and the seat turns side to side when clamped. The seat clamp is way different that what we’re used to. It’s also very elegant in its design. The bottom photo has the clamp mounted on the seat structure upside down. The bolt is supposed to stick down toward the top tube. AACC432C-F161-4E4A-BBCA-A6C2E08A807A.jpeg C7BEADE3-CA32-4C32-9531-8620917DD398.jpeg

The post is a tube the gallows is solid. It’s very elegant. Somehow the hollow tube is solid at the top so that the gallows can be attached, I assume with brazing. The bottom of the gallows is flat. Most old gallows posts have a round gallows and the seat turns side to side when clamped. The seat clamp is way different that what we’re used to. It’s also very elegant in its design. The bottom photo has the clamp mounted on the seat structure upside down. The bolt is supposed to stick down toward the top tube.View attachment 639185View attachment 639186
That's a really neat way of doing it 👍
Wish I'd thought of that when making my seat clamp 🤨 would've of been even lighter!

o_O

Such a different and clever way of doing everything - the clamp is one thing, having curved rails to allow for saddle tilt. Smart.

Back