Father & Son Claud Butler Restoration

One of the lessons learnt from this project was; “thoroughly check the bike over at the very start of the project – don’t just ride it round the block then strip it!”

What did I miss? A bent derailleur hanger, that’s what. I off course spotted it as soon as I put the bike back together, thought I’d chance it for a while with the 6-speed close ratio freewheel cogs that had come with the bike & this was ok-ish, but as soon as I swapped that out with a catalogue correct Regina 28T 5 speed I was immediately in trouble.
So, what to do, I’d witnessed my Dad straighten out a hanger/dropout way back in the early 80’s so I thought I’d give it a go……Christ its unnerving! :shock:
So, I inserted a 100mm long 8mm bolt through the 10mm fine thread hole, with some repair washers either side, tightened the whole thing up, then slipped a length of stainless pipe over the bolt to gain some mechanical advantage…… she moved easier than I’d thought, no drama, no fuss, and the result? A rear derailleur as vertical as I’m ever going to get it, and no paint damage! :D

Attachments

• Straight.jpeg
    Straight.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 489
  • Lever.jpeg
    Lever.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 486
  • 8mmBolt.jpeg
    8mmBolt.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 487
  • Bent.jpeg
    Bent.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 490
The History Man":qiykb7zj said:
Nice job. I thought a wheel axle was another solution as a bar.

Yeah, did cross my mind, but I remember my Dad saying whatever you use is going west after youve finished, he was right, the bolt was sacrificed... for the greater good! :cool:

Jimmy and I went for a slightly longer ride after school today, and we thought we would go check out some of the local painting sites of the celebrated British artist, David Hockney. (and make our own version of “Track and Hedgerow”)

Track and Hedgerow - David Hockney

Attachments

• Jim&Hedgerow.jpeg
    Jim&Hedgerow.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 420
  • david-hockney-track-and-hedgerow,-january-2006.jpg
    david-hockney-track-and-hedgerow,-january-2006.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 420
  • Track and Hedgerow.jpeg
    Track and Hedgerow.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 420
Jimmy; "I can see the sea from here!"
Me; "Pity its not the pub"

Attachments

• file-16.jpeg
    file-16.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 369
Recently I have been trying to push our Jim just a little further and faster on our training loop, but to go much further we have to work our way up and over a number of steep ‘wolds’, some I’m afraid are just a little too steep for Jim to complete on this heavy little Electron, so, what to do. I don’t want to turn this Superfive into a 10 speed, so I thought I’d have a go at the freewheel instead.
She was wearing a catalogue correct Regina Corsa 14, 16, 18, 20, 24. But now she’s dressed in a slightly older Regina Extra 14, 16, 20, 24, 28. I don’t think I will tell him, just let him find out for himself when he next reaches his dismount spot… ;)

Attachments

• ReginaSwap.jpeg
    ReginaSwap.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 343
This is a really lovely story. The result of your lads work is fantastic. Graduate from the University of Life. The colour of that CB is just right - yellow with red trim. Beautiful.

I have 2 lads, now 22 and 27. Absolutely no, none, zilch, zero interest in 2 wheels - full stop.

I tried, and I tried, the workshop was always open, tried to show them mechanical things but all fell on deaf ears.

I have a workshop full of hand tools, even down to LH thread BA taps (never used them funnily enough), power tools, machine tools, materials, plenty of space for projects.

When I pop my clogs, they will have to clear that out and will not know what any of its does or is used for and hopefully they will not just dump it. In fact I going to write that in my will. Workshop contents must be given to model engineering society, cycling club, vintage motorcycle club etc, etc.

So, I'm really happy that your lad has taken an interest. Hope he keeps it up.

The photograph of the Cwmcarn Paragon interested me. How simple was cycling then, if a little less colourful though. No padded bib shorts or lycra shirts, bobble hats and work jackets/blazers will do fine.

Attachments

• Cwmcarn Paragon.jpg
    Cwmcarn Paragon.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 331
:D Glad you have enjoyed it so far, Jim has already bought with his own pocket money (£44) his next winter project; a 1976 Claud Butler Cavalier which was basically a Holdsworth equipe,(an off the shelf basic bike, done up in Holdsworth Team colours Orange & Blue).
Holdsworth seem to have thought sticking CB stickers on an Orange bike might sell.... it didn’t, never mind, its always nice to have something a little different and Jim has already started buying bits & bats for it...

Some of the tools in my workshop were my fathers, my children know I would haunt them from the grave if they ever just binned them... :twisted:

Back