Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

I found this old beauty the other day. It's a Trekker XT, maybe 88? Does anyone know? Is the Trekker XT a limited edition? I can't seem to find any info on it.

Under the grime it's a really solid bike. It all works. The wheels and hubs are in fine condition under the dirt. It has Araya RM20 rims on XT hubs. Would the rims have been factory spec? The tyres look like they are original too.

It has full XT including the U brake and pedals. The gears all work including thumb shifters.

Only faults are incorrect saddle and seat post and the top tube decal is missing from the left hand side. Pain is good but it needs a T cut!

I'm looking forward to getting it cleaned up. Has anyone ever had one of these?

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_9393.jpg
    IMG_9393.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_9664.jpg
    IMG_9664.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_4388.jpg
    IMG_4388.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_8785.jpg
    IMG_8785.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 745
Hi Rod, I found it on Gumtree. I've got to delete that app off of my phone.... It was down in Portsmouth and I was passing by there so called in. And sorry for hounding you for the 1990 comp! Hoping I'll find a small sized one before that 1990 kiliflyer gets converted.

You're right Ed, I thought id would be double U. Same year as that model? I'm not as familiar with the 80s Saracens. It looked too original to pass up. It needs a new bottom bracket and the rear XT hub has a screw thread axle so I guess I'll have to source a new one.

What do you use too clean up your old frames? T cut? anything good to wash bikes with that takes off the grime fairly easily?

Re:

I used a powder degreaser called deepio that we have at work for heavy cleaning. After that, autosol for the metal parts, autoglym paint renovator and high resin polish for the paint.

I thought it would be double u because most of the other 80’s Trekkers I have seen have been. Just assumed mine was a parts bin special due to the 1990 groupset but 89 frame and that was the reason for the forks and canti’s. :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
All mine

file.php

Back