Durax Cranks - Who made them ?

Excellent ! I did not think that Duprat and Durax were the same companies. The ad confirms this and I now have something to work with. Prefer Pastis personally !
Simplex became heavily involved with Stronglight This brand came into being in about 1931 when Louis Verot made the first alloy cranks that worked. (Stronglight type 32 I think for NGC - later they became type 49 for GCC). Prior to 31 he used the 'Strong' brand name and 'La Comete' (even seen a bike with this brand and the 'Shooting Star' ! Not sure if Simplex made cranks - or Huret - but both made chain rings.
I have also being trying to figure out the difference between Durax 'Service Course' cranks and those simply branded Durax. Only those that are fluted like bayonets - i e all 4 corners. Apart from the engraving they appear identical. Would also be interesting to know when they were first imported and by whom. I think that Fonteyn offered them post war.

That's all very well good.

You asked an initial question, the reply is given (not in colour but in B&W) ...... where is my Pernod reward?

Dates for adverts is something else which starts a new a round - settle your bills first. :D

Let´s just learn a bit at a steady pace - before we can run we need to learn how to walk OK?

I'm thirsty too.

I observe my co barmen extorting free bevvy from the general public by withholding information until their needs are met

I am proud. I forgot to place in the bulk order so we are running dry.

Next stop is picking on the teenagers by the Aldi parking lot for them to give up their cans

• Haha
Reactions: Woz
This is beginning to read like some social media nonsense. Not really of interest to me. Thanks for the information supplied. It really is appreciated.

This is beginning to read like some social media nonsense. Not really of interest to me. Thanks for the information supplied. It really is appreciated.
I also wish humans were more... linear. Nothing worse than asking a question and being met by what, at the surface, looks like helpful being's, but once that mask of helpfulness slips, they make jokes, laugh and their personality beyond being a serious collector and keen researcher of the vintage variety begin to show. And by god I hate it. I wish people could just organise in communities online, and once and for all be away with the chit chat, and take matters such as collecting tatty bikes from yonks ago more seriously. If I asked a question about Durex cranks like yourself, and received replies like you did, I reckon I'd lock myself in the bathroom with a couple of bike specification charts and get it out of my system.

The people of Retrobike should be more noble and astute. Perched on a worn down leather saddle from the 30s, reading technical pamphlets covered in layers of thick bearing grease, assessing the world as they see it - through the head tube. They may drink, but only to tittilate what's left of their brain cells to get together to write another thesis on not greasing the square spindle, knowing that this is the 2006th thread on the matter.

Last edited:
Back