Durax Cranks - Who made them ?

Bayonet fluted cranks with a Durax chain ring also. I have a number of sets - one with nickel plate (re plated later ?) but most with chrome. In the late 40's early 50's, most makers here were using Gnutti or Williams cranks. A few opted for Durax - particularly Harry 'Spanner' Rensch on his 'Paris' cycles. I still consider them to be the most elegant cranks of their time.

To others reading this : I always considered this site one for enthusiasts of all things cycles and cycling. If I want to visit a chat room or social media site there are plenty of those which personally I choose to avoid.

Bayonet fluted cranks with a Durax chain ring also. I have a number of sets - one with nickel plate (re plated later ?) but most with chrome. In the late 40's early 50's, most makers here were using Gnutti or Williams cranks. A few opted for Durax - particularly Harry 'Spanner' Rensch on his 'Paris' cycles. I still consider them to be the most elegant cranks of their time.

To others reading this : I always considered this site one for enthusiasts of all things cycles and cycling. If I want to visit a chat room or social media site there are plenty of those which personally I choose to avoid.
Forums are social media and this place used to have a chat room

Chrome and nickel plate were both an option !
I wonder if the UK builders fitting them had them made to British cotter pin sizes?
This place is a bit like a pub however atleast it is full of truly enthusiastic followers of cycles and their history I'd be surprised to find the level of knowledge and commitment to research here on more mainstream social media tbh!

There are indeed chat rooms and the like, avoid them or not at your discretion. I have found RB to be very helpful and friendly place. As evidenced by your questions being answered. I personally don't think you will find more a dedicated bunch that live and breathe bicycles. Take the rough (The banter) with the smooth (The answers you require) and just move on. This is social media after all. Have a good day.

Some years back i was really into French kit, and that led me to become friends with possibly the UK's most knowledgeable guy on French cycles and the parts they used Norris Lockley of Settle N Yorks..he was a real Francophile.. and over the years some of his knowledge rubbed onto me..Duprat, he loved very elegant and very strong, lots of the tour guys used them in the high mountains as when the alloy cranks started to appear Anquetil et all didn't trust the strength in the high climbs..I rebuilt a 1951 Records semi constructeur ladys machine back in '20 and it has a Duprat crankset driving a surviving and working well 3 sp Simplex derailleur...pics available if theres any interest..w

there you go.. stored indoors and as were doing a down size move would be tempted with an offer.. if theres any interest..pm me

Spotted these and thought they might be of interest here?.

Matt

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back