DIY Retro frame

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Some folk on here are proper skilled and talented. So much so that I reckon some one has built their own mtb frame back in the day or more recently in a retro style. By built I mean the frame built from scratch not the bike assembled from components.
I've met several people over the years who have built their own frames from materials as diverse as steel, aluminium and carbon fibre as well as one guy who fabricated the main triangle from an old wall mounted radiator :shock:
If you have pics and care to share please do, I'm fascinated by frames and how they are built especially if done by some individual in their shed. :cool:

Re:

This is what i did for may degree.
Original concept & finished frame after being snapped.
6061 Alu frame and forks, Ti front hub, Ti fork linkages, Ti Cranks.

Attachments

• BIKEconcept.jpg
    BIKEconcept.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 737
  • Spincycle.jpg
    Spincycle.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 737
danson67 builds frames

Heres his 'Stiffy' fork on his Columbus Max frame (RS crown with steel legs)

DansonFork1.jpg

And he's recently built a gearbox frame

file.php

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=374292

Building my own frame is a dream of mine. One day, I will definitely try to do it.
Same goes for a suspension fork.

But I already made my own parts:
(pictures are clickable, there are more photos there...)

a seatpost quickrelease:

a set of hubs:

A set of brakes. These are copys of the famous Marinovative Decelerators. I made two of those, front and rear.

Having been given the golden ticket I'm a bit disappointed by the Framebuilders Facebook page. A lot of talk, plenty of spam and not a lot of serious action.

Duxuk":1dnmtm9d said:
Having been given the golden ticket I'm a bit disappointed by the Framebuilders Facebook page. A lot of talk, plenty of spam and not a lot of serious action.

It's worth staying a member of, there are some very helpful people on it. Unfortunately for each helpful person there are 5 that'll answer your question with "You need to buy a £2k tig welder/£500 chainstay jig/£4k frame jig".

I think someone asked if they could use Mapp to do bottle cage brazeons and someone (might have been the oh so helpful Peter Verdone :facepalm: ) told them to buy a tig welder.

Back