Dawes Galaxy

SirLurkalot

Old School Hero
Just picked this up. I'm guessing 1981 entry level Galaxy. Replacement back wheel and saddle but everything else is there. I've always had a thing for Dawes ever since a school mate rolled up on one. Made my gas pipe 5 Speed Raleigh look very low rent.
Only paid £25 for this but it needs a lot of love. My worst fear has been confirmed, the seat post appears to be stuck. Last time I ended up using the Caustic Soda trick want to avoid that this time. Debating whether to do a full resto or rat bike. Anywords of wisdom appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220718_131315.jpg
    20220718_131315.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
Thats a bargain. Id strip it down fully and replace everything required, hopefully just bearings, cables etc and rebuild it as original as possible. Try and source an original rear wheel. Good luck and enjoy.

If the Seat Post is an alloy one you could try the method I used to remove a very stubborn stem on my 66 Mercian....

I was amazed at how easily this freed up what had previously been a totally unmoveable stem.

Nice buy. I think I saw some other pictures showing it had a Suntour rear mech 👍
Well worth getting it going and you can always update the components you don't like at a later date. But first job will be to get that seat post moving.......patience is your greatest friend with such a task 😁

Some more pics as it came. I gave it a wipe over with WD 40 and the paint isn't bad. A bit of flaking paint and rust around the seat clamp bolt, top tube is a bit faded and the usual Shed/Garage paint splashes which should come off with white spirit. A good T-Cut and polish should bring it up and maybe some new decals. I'll treat the rust and just paint clear enamel over it. The paint is dark so it shouldnt show up too bad. The Alloy parts should polish up nice.

The back wheel is a Raleigh, runs true and smooth so it will stay until a large flange Weinmann wheel turns up. Bearings and cables etc. will be done. This is very much a budget resto so jobs will be done when I have the funds available.

The saddle is a Marin which is not bad condition and I'm wondering if the seat post is Marin too. And if so was it too big which might explain why it's stuck. Thankfully the handlebar stem moves freely.

Can anyone tell me what the original saddle was? I think this is the entry level Galaxy so I don't think it was a Brooks. Would be nice but they're way out of my budget.

Attachments

• Front Brake.jpg
    Front Brake.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Cassette.jpg
    Cassette.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Reynold 531 Decal.jpg
    Reynold 531 Decal.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Crank.jpg
    Crank.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Galaxy non-drive side.jpg
    Galaxy non-drive side.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Shifters.jpg
    Shifters.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 51
Strip down started. I suspect it was left outside possibly against a wall with the non-drive side exposed to the elements more. All the screws bolt etc on that side are badly rusted. The front derailleur clamp screw sheared off. Another fun job to add to the stuck seatpost.

Attachments

• 20220721_171141.jpg
    20220721_171141.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220718_180243.jpg
    20220718_180243.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 22
My advice would be like wot I did. Accept the frame and fork is fabulous but all else is a bit pish. Re-decal but not re-paint ( best finish on an old bike...PATINA! ). Seal the decals on with acrylic gloss laquer. Wheels and set-up of your choice. Whaddya reckon?

My advice would be like wot I did. Accept the frame and fork is fabulous but all else is a bit pish. Re-decal but not re-paint ( best finish on an old bike...PATINA! ). Seal the decals on with acrylic gloss laquer. Wheels and set-up of your choice. Whaddya reckon?
Thanks that's a lovely bike. Mine will be a long term project. First priority is to get the seatpost out. For the frame I'll do the same as a Falcon I did, treat the rust and apply a clear coat.

At the moment I just want to get it on the road before I think about upgrading. I've got an MT60 rear derailleur or a complete Suntour XC-E groupset which might find it's way on it.

It's a large frame at 22.5 inches. I'm 5'9" and built like a Neanderthal with long arms and body but short legs. So how it fits will decide whether I keep it or move it on.

Back