Dawes Super Galaxy - Early 1980s 531 - Questions and upgrades to early 1990s spec

Beautiful work mate. No worries on the cable front; it looks like you're 60% there already. Undo cable, de-wrap about 100mm of bar tape and snip shorter the outer to route under the bar...job's a good 'un. Or just say " bugger it " and ride as is in this glorious can't-be-wasted sunshine.

Ah not sure that would work, as the cable would be entering the headset hanger from the side, instead of the top, and be putting a lot of strain on it. I think this is the best solution. It's not in the way of my hands, and still have space to mount a front light, so it's all good I think. Ha and yes, don't want to be unwrapping bar tape etc now. Going to fiddle around with the rest of it and see what else I can add.

I actually like the look of the looping cables, but that's just me of course. I think the looping cables, along with the old treaded headsets and quill stems made the bikes look more graceful than the modern threadless headsets and stems.

Depends on the vintage parts, I found just 2 months ago a brand new in-the-box Suntour Winner Pro freewheel from the 80s, and they're were a lot of them, for right around $50. I would have thought that gears would be very difficult to find since they are a wear out item. Keep in mind too that the older vintage stuff lasts a lot longer than the modern stuff does, I have a bike I bought in 1984 that has Suntour Superbe groupset on it, and it has over 150,000 miles, and about 1/2 of that was racing or training miles, and all the miles were riding in mountains, and they still work fine today! I heard from others that groups from any manufacturer made in the late 70s to the late 80s were capable of doing those sorts of miles.

Latest posts

Back