Chemical seatpost removal

If the mix is right, it won't matter how stuck it is....there's nothing left at the end to take out. It literally desolves to nothing! Its not loosening the post it eats it away from the inside of the post out.

You might have needed a stronger mix. I tried 300ml water to 100g of powder and that just made a light fizz, when it stopped and i tipped it out, nothing much seemed to have desolved.

As i said...its not a first (or even second or third) port of call, but when all else failed, it saved the frame in a very (frame) friendly manner.

Im reasonably good with tools, but the idea of trying to run a reciprocating saw or even a hacksaw blade parallel enough, for a 3 whole cuts down 6" of seatpost is not something i wold greatly enjoy......

Glad you got it out though!
I did it in the winter, which might explain why it didn’t work? I did it outside hidden inside a rubbish bin that was behind a pile of junk. At the time there were young children around and they don’t hang outside much when the temp is -10. I had the solution contained inside the frame using rubber gloves and tape. It still leaked and needed topping up. It didn’t do a thing, no dissolving. I think it was soaking for around a week. I didn’t want to press my luck any more with the kids around. I’ll have to try it again in the summer, we now live in the bush, no neighbors to worry about. It made a toxic leaky mess.

And make sure you thoroughly wash out the frame. Then do it again. And again. It gets everywhere.

I lost half a bottom bracket. See above to avoid similar.

Nice, but too much hassle-an alloy post in a steel frame only needs a good freezing around the stuck area (sponge attached, soaked in freezing spray)-->alloy shrinks greater/faster than steel-->chemical bond (galvanic corrosion) is broken-->twist & tilt and voilá, boom it goes out, worked me everytime.
It's really not that much hassle and it works where someone has sheared off a seatpost in the frame.

It's the same news report, except mine is higher quality journalism which you don't get for nowt on the bus

completely not related to chemical extraction, but I recent saw someone use a stem clamped to the seatpost using the bar mounts, for purchase. I saw this as pretty darned clever as it seems far more resiliant than a set of pipe grips.

Back