Dave Yates Donkis Nob

Re: Dave Yates Custom/Donkis nob

narcotitlan":1r9xaeta said:
Love the colours on that and the whole build! certainly unusual but it pulls it off nicely. Those wheels are a real collectors' piece

Pretty special colours, but i think im going to go for a re-paint. As is then the forks will go as the sunset rims won't match.

:cool: good find.

Certainly is an unusual colour combo, i really like the redish headtube colour though. Have you decide on a colour yet?

Mark

mkone":21j8wm9z said:
:cool: good find.

Certainly is an unusual colour combo, i really like the redish headtube colour though. Have you decide on a colour yet?

Mark

It's certainly eye-catching but i'm not a fan myself. Not decided on colours yet, im thinking either a lovely dark gunmetal grey, with all the white logos, or something like the team colour scheme but white through greys to black. Or something else, perhaps quite garish. I'm open to suggestion.

So there is some progress here on the Nob.
Thinking about the build, I had some decisions to make regarding the forks, the groupset and the colour as well.
The details are now starting to form in my head.

The forks: Most are original riding on rockshox Mag 21's. I fancied a rigid ride myself but was aware this might appal the die hard enthusiasts. I've run a quick survey on Facebook and i was wrong, it seems folk overwhelmingly want rigid as opposed to suspended. That works for me, I have a pair of Rc30's coming and a Tange Switchblade, i'll see which i prefer in the flesh.

The knock on issue with a rigid fork is i need to think about the cantilever brake set up. I can't really run a long treadless head tube as getting an ahead stem with a noodle is near impossible, so I'll probably run a shorter threaded steerer with a quill stem. I will still get the stem (and the forks) painted to match though.

The groupset. I was initially thinking the bike was 1991, and leaning towards the very pretty Campagnolo mtb bits, but now its confirmed as a 93 that opens me up to XTR m900, which is lucky as i love that. I will probably go own that route, but i will aim to throw in some showpiece bits and some titanium. I'm going for an aesthetic/weight weenies build here, so beautiful looking with a nod to lightness. Already hunting now for some bits, which is generally my favourite part of the process.

Colour. Here's the tricky one. I'm waiting to heat back from DY with regards prices to paint etc. so far in my head i have the original team colour seen on a few Donkis nob's. Thats awesome but i'm also leaning towards a slightly more stylish single colour. Dave Yates loges have a lovely classic colour and style to them, i think them against a solid dark colour would look amazing. Especially with silver components, so we'll see what happens in the coming days, im hoping to get it all decided and booked with whichever painter by the end of the week or next week.

fun fun fun. Any input and opinion from you all is much appreciated, please feedback, i really want to get this one right.
T

With paint that good and unusual/of the time, isn't it a bit of a crime to re-finish it?

Disco Drive":2czubzpj said:
With paint that good and unusual/of the time, isn't it a bit of a crime to re-finish it?

Agree. Looking fantastic.
+1 vote for let the colour as it is.

Peugeot_Sandman":ksylxtu9 said:
Disco Drive":ksylxtu9 said:

Had it had some Racing provenance, or been an Ex "whatever" bike etc, I might have been a little inclined to agree, but this isn't the case, its a little like moving into DelBoys Flat after his lottery win, and being happy with the wall paper he left behind.

The frames too cool not to do what should have been done the first time round.

But its only one mans opinion, and its the owner that has to look at it an wanna ride it.

Attachments

• 8d38350b4bdefeb4_1363366949_9j-4aaqsk.jpg
    8d38350b4bdefeb4_1363366949_9j-4aaqsk.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 513

sinnerman":2kd5wax2 said:
Peugeot_Sandman":2kd5wax2 said:
Disco Drive":2kd5wax2 said:

Had it had some Racing provenance, or been an Ex "whatever" bike etc, I might have been a little inclined to agree, but this isn't the case, its a little like moving into DelBoys Flat after his lottery win, and being happy with the wall paper he left behind.

The frames too cool not to do what should have been done the first time round.

But its only one mans opinion, and its the owner that has to look at it an wanna ride it.

I was watching Only Fools and Horses the other day, and the idea that Delboy's interior decor matches my frame is perfect.t not sure it'll make me keep it this colour. I am going to re-paint because its not a special colour/ team colour or whatever. It's also a bit tatty in a few places and i simply don't really like it.

Not decided on colours yet, i like the 'Team' colour, but i'm not tied to that as there ae so many different colours for Dave Yates bikes. I'm thinking a solid colour, either a dark colour like Black, very dark grey or very dark green. I'm also toying with a a bright vibrant red, or even white (although the white option is a bit Dogs Bolx). The decals are quite traditional i style, so i think something top show them off. I'll get the forks painted to match and maybe the stem too.

Any ideas/suggestions for colour. Bottle of wine if anyone can come up with a new suggestion that i end up using.
T

Re:

Sorry it was the first thing that came to mind... :oops:

I think your in a really lucky position, the frame is top notch, it doesn't really get much better in steel to be fair, and with a blank canvas you can do anything your only limitation is your imagination.!

Given the cost of the frame bitd and the colour it is currently, I would think an older person ordered it, perhaps my view is based on my outlook of the time due to my age. :facepalm:

Re: Re:

sinnerman":kknj6gm9 said:
Sorry it was the first thing that came to mind... :oops:

I think your in a really lucky position, the frame is top notch, it doesn't really get much better in steel to be fair, and with a blank canvas you can do anything your only limitation is your imagination.!

Given the cost of the frame bitd and the colour it is currently, I would think an older person ordered it, perhaps my view is based on my outlook of the time due to my age. :facepalm:

no apology necessary, its a good analogy. I think the older person theory is correct too, maybe why it didn't have Donkis Nob on it too.
Either way, its an interesting shall we say colour, but I will change it. New decals orders from Dave Yates.
Time to get thinking.

Back