Dave Yates and Orange Prestige.....Both finished builds p.5

Yeah sorry, just being mischevious....both are fantastic bikes and i'm v jealous re: the Dave Yates!! :cool:

Drewson":khx7qd4w said:
Yeah sorry, just being mischevious....both are fantastic bikes and i'm v jealous re: the Dave Yates!! :cool:

its no probs mate, it was clear you new the M. steel history too, so i thought it might be nice to post it for all to read, there account of there history, i found quite interesting.

We always hear a lot of our favorite American frame builders history, but very little of our own.

Now its posted for anyone who wants to read it, if they are interested.

dbmtb":1hu5jgc4 said:
Both very nice - too nice even! As both of these bikes were workhorses BITD.

SO... what do they ride like?

I picked a Dave Yates over a Prestige back in 93 and need to know whether I made the right choice! And as you've built them so similar I don't think anyone would be better qualified to make the comparison!

Cheers bud, i do like the fillet brazing on the Dave Yates, it just looks more than it is, in my eyes. :shock:

Both bikes finally got finished saturday, and sadly no ride for me this sunday, so they are sat in my office, so i can blast them in the forestry comission land at dinnertimes .... :? mad busy today and no lunch break, so im hoping for tomoro.

What i can say though ..............the orange is considerably lighter....!!!!

boy"O"boy":3tu418qb said:
Great job on both builds there. :cool: :cool:

Oddly enough, although I would class myself as an Orange aficionado - it's the Dave Yates I'm drawn to if I had to make a decision.

Attention to detail on both is stunning though. :cool:

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Thanks for you kind comments bud, :cool:

Re: prestige

matthew71":3vjb837x said:
both look great carl,but am drawn to the prestige,and am pleased to have supplied the stem and bars they have gone to a excellent home. those rc 30,s have got me thinking :shock: ,i have a set to put on my orange and may be tempted to colour them instead of re chroming.
the prestige was the bike that re kindled by love of the bike after 10 years,and that is a beauty :D

Thanks Matt, I really appreciated the stem and the bars, i really wanted to finish it with these, and after this length of time they arent too easy too find.

PACE RC30......Paint is a lot easier and cheaper to do than chrome, Gary and Gil have the graphics on file, and Garry would be more than happy to paint them for you.

Thank you for your support too. :cool:

Both amazing, can't get over the Prestige - superb!

Like how the font on the Prestige top tube decal is slightly 'fuller' than the other decals, it's absolutely spot on :cool:

;)

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
BOTH are absolutely STUNNING!!!
I think the phrase dream bikes would be more than apt here. Be proud, they are truly wonderful bikes and the effort and time you have put into them shines through a million times over.

If I could find a 'clapping' emoticon it would be here

Wired99

ratcapa":33xy5k39 said:
Well anyway, yet again fantastic build, this time with a twist and of two iconic bikes not one!!! You must have one for everyday of the month now! :D

They are both stunning but if I were to be picky (chance would be a fine thing) I would choose the prestige, I'm just not a fan of sky blue, not that I go around loving pink!! I think I'd actually prefer the Yates but the Prestige is just alive and looks "right" to me espcially with the forks and bars matching. Even so the paint is stunning on the Yates so hats off again to graphicshack, they like you really do know what to do with bikes.

I know you say you think you're not qualified to give your account of the two head to head but you're less likely to be influenced like some magazine reviewers by sweetners, more and bigger page adds, free kit and not stepping on the toes of their "friends" in the industry etc etc. So I think your opinion is more than valid as is anybody's on here as you own your bikes therefore if you use them, know them better than any.
Sorry for the rant :oops: :oops:

Great bikes Carl :cool: :cool:

Thank you for taking the time to comment your, opinions always valued, my friend.... :cool:

I have managed to take both bikes out, a couple of times this week... :)
Got to be truthfull, the orange is all wrong for me......and some tweeks are on the cards.

The seatpost isnt appropriate for me, the seat sits too far forward, the straight up seatpost is not ideal, and with the saddle thats used it does make any further adjustment difficult, so im on the look out for an original orange seatpost, in silver with some layback to it. I think this will pretty much sort out the issue.

Also the stem, this isnt any good either, the angle is all wrong, i think i could do with a stalk stem that is at least 5 degrees lower.
I also think that, i do need to buy a front headset cable hanger that fits between the headset cups too, this will enable me to reduce the height of the stem a little further, and solve the issues im having with the riding position.

The orange is by far the lighter of the two bikes, and the thing i noticed the most is the very precise handling of the orange at the front end, it
is considerably more stable at speed, especially on downhill fire tracks.

The Dave Yates......, after reading sum of the reviews for this model, i was quite cautious of what stem i chose. And i have to be honest the stem length and reach fits perfectly, handling is not perhaps as precise as the orange and the forks do flex a little more at speed and under braking than the orange, but not so its off putting by any means.

I think whats needed to make this a fairer comparison, is to source the correct stem and seatpost for the orange, and then start again, im convinced changing these two components will radically change how the bike rides for me.

I shall keep you posted, if i can manage to change these two items.... :oops:

wired99":foimqo6z said:
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
BOTH are absolutely STUNNING!!!
I think the phrase dream bikes would be more than apt here. Be proud, they are truly wonderful bikes and the effort and time you have put into them shines through a million times over.

If I could find a 'clapping' emoticon it would be here

Wired99

A big Thank you buddy, I am happy with how they have turned out tbh, even if they look like sumthing that ought to be in a TARTS parlour....lol.

Thank you for taking the time to post... :cool:

Back