Daft V-Brake question (I should know...)

markoc

Orange 🍊 Fan
I just test fitted an XT V Brake to my P7 frame (99 ish, second gen), and it didn't sit too well on the canti mount. there looks to be a collar at the base that will either not fit or will squidge on - haven't tightened it up yet as it was close enough to an interference fit that I didn't think it would ever undo - and I don't want to break it :)

Thinking about it, it would probably have worn cantis first time out (can't remember as I put Maguras on ASAP)

Is there a specific brake mount (boss?) for a V compared to a V? If so, I'm fairly sure I haven't got one - and the question is therefore can I retro fit?

I'm having what sounds like the same issue, XT v's on posts that have a 'collar' bit at the base, the V's won't go fully on and the pin only just catches the holes.

DSC00004.JPG

Hmmm, looks like I may need to get brave with the allen key and see if it will squidge on.

gently file or emery the brake boss , it may even just be a burr on the
end
more sensible than forcing the brake on

Sooo. Nearly ten years on and I’m asking the same question. Different frame (clockwork) and different brakes (more modern xt v’s) but there is no way on earth these are slipping over the lump at the bottom of the stud. The previous el cheapo Avid ones slide on and off with room to spare...

Are the canti studs on clockworks (around 2000 ish) replaceable? This is rather unplanned...

Ive had the same issue with mine, i was able to get them on just enough to catch the holes properly, but never felt like they were on as far as they should have been

Back