Cantilever brake suggestions for a '94 bike

If you’re willing to spend, Maguras really are fantastic. Otherwise a brake booster on just about any reasonable canti set will provide good braking power. The M737 and M560 canti’s have always done it for me.

Last edited:
I just dont understand. Ive used so many ‘good’ cantis: mafac, 986, 987, 737, m900, suntour, judder is when pads are setup wrong. Are your rims clean and smooth? Pads are not melty? Are your canti posts undersized?

Maybe take them somewhere and have a shop do the setup.

The whole situation is an oxymoron: if you actually wanted good braking you wouldnt use rim brakes.

:)

judder is when pads are setup wrong.
No....not always....especially if your on a big frame. See my post a couple of pages back. I completly understand his plight.

As for rim brakes...if it locks the wheel and the tyre breaks traction, there's no more breaking to be had...rim, hub, disc....makes no odds...

Yes in the wet or mud, there are advantages to differing systems, but in general use..the tyre grip gives out long before the brakes....oh unless your on my Sturmey archer hubs on a 3 tonne saracen! On that he brakes are really there just to make you feel better! 🤣

Try some period Kona own-brand Grafton lookalikes.

You'll never complain about Shimano cantilevers again.

Back