V-brake Boss / Bolt query

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
I'm currently building up an Explosif which came with v-brake bosses as well as a disk tab (full disclosure, the bike is newer than 97).

It's been ran with disks forever, and the original plastic covers were still on the v-brake boss. Having removed the covers and cleaned the bosses up, it's apparent that one side is pretty badly rusted up internally.

A standard brake bolt won't wind in fully, this is after a lot of cleaning, soaking, winding bolts in and out to remove swarf etc. It just gets VERY tight then comes to a stop.

Question: Any issues in just using a shorter bolt?

Photo shows the bolt wound in as far as I can get it without getting serious tools out. It's probably 2/3rds in (ish).

Looks wet because plus-gas.

20211214_215213.jpg

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
You could run a shorter bolt, depends on the brakes. I'd try the following before that though:

1. Small wire brush to try and get any rust off.

2. Have the thread chased with a proper tool (lbs should be able to help).

3. Carry on trying to chase the thread with a good steel bolt. Tighten, loosen, tighten loosen etc, try and clean out any loose stuff between goes, and preferably use a bolt without threadlock on it.

4. Can you thread a bolt in from the rear?

5. Can you remove the boss? If so, replace with a shiny new one.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

W7Ford

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I'd run a tap through it as suggested. Any local engineers would do it if you don't have a tap and die set to hand. They are M6 x 1 from memory but double check.

novocaine

Retro Guru
if you haven't got a tap, cut a clearance groove in the bolt with a file (unless you have a dremal, in which case use that). it just needs to be a a groove running length wise up the bolt.

bolt dia x 1.5 is the rule of thumb. it's an M6 so you need 9mm of thread engagement (there are other rules of thumb like 3 full threads etc.).

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Thanks all.

Can't thread a bolt in from the back unfortunately, and it's difficult to find anything narrow (but abrasive) enough to clean the threads that way. I don't have a tap / die set either (something i've been meaning to get for years).

I will keep going with it using some of the tips above, and hopefully make some progress.

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm currently building up an Explosif which came with v-brake bosses as well as a disk tab (full disclosure, the bike is newer than 97).

It's been ran with disks forever, and the original plastic covers were still on the v-brake boss. Having removed the covers and cleaned the bosses up, it's apparent that one side is pretty badly rusted up internally.

A standard brake bolt won't wind in fully, this is after a lot of cleaning, soaking, winding bolts in and out to remove swarf etc. It just gets VERY tight then comes to a stop.

Question: Any issues in just using a shorter bolt?

Photo shows the bolt wound in as far as I can get it without getting serious tools out. It's probably 2/3rds in (ish).

Looks wet because plus-gas.

Advice above is to do a proper job, but still ...... to come back to your question.

Just what exactly do you mean by a standard brake bolt? The lengths are all over the place, and often the rear is delibrately shorter than the front. For the rear, I would say at least 15mm of insertion, more better, but there is no need to go the full depth either.

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
That's a good point, and the XT V-brakes i'm fitting didn't come with bolts, so i'm having to raid the spares box.

I found an original shimano canti bolt which was quite long. This was my barometer, but no idea whether it was a 'front' or a 'rear' bolt. The bolt i've photographed is just an m6 bolt taken from a set of disk brakes (I went through a few bolts to make sure it was indeed the boss threads which were defective)

I might be able to work with c15mm insertion, will check again later.

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've just measured a Tektro and XT rear v-brake with specific rear bolts; looks like anything from 10mm to 15mm insertion will be fine.