Cyclocross canti question.

As above, surely its just that you cant change the pad angle enough. Something like xt, where the pads are held by post, NOT fixed through the arm would allow you to rotate the pads down more and have more horizontal movement too.

I have a Kinesis Crosslight with Tektro Canti Brakes fitted. I looked to upgrade them many years ago to TRP - There are two different sizes of the "callipers" that TRP do, it may be possible you have the "short" ones, am unsure as this was many years ago. However there are two different sizes. (Unsure if this helps) Find out if the ones you have bought are "Short Pull" - There are also "Long Pull Ones" ... You have the original ones at hand or even an online photo of the originals?

EDIT - am talking rubbish above check @legrandefromage post below.

Last edited:
Its to do with the clearances built into the frame. Those seatstays are further inbound than the more modern alu era cross bikes whic run tyres up to 40mm. Those 70s, 80s steel cross bikes its more like 32 max. Had this exact same issue with the same brakes when i used to race on an old Graham Weigh cross bike.

Looking at your clearances on the frame you may be able to find ones that fit, I have attached some images of the clearances (at a glance) of the "thinner Tektro ones on my Kinesis 5T.

Attachments

• Canti 1.JPG
    Canti 1.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Canti 2.JPG
    Canti 2.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Canti 3.JPG
    Canti 3.JPG
    441.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Canti 4.JPG
    Canti 4.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 6
You need the sort of cantis that have the old style brake bad, not ones that bolt on

Shimano STX, Alivio, XT, LX, DX etc, rears can catch the heel though if not the 'low profile' type

These look rather sexy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You need the sort of cantis that have the old style brake bad, not ones that bolt on

Shimano STX, Alivio, XT, LX, DX etc, rears can catch the heel though if not the 'low profile' type

These look rather sexy

Need a pair to match that front end though! $$

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back