Cor, nice Dawes - 853 fillet brazed Edge no less

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That's nothing like fillet brazing, they're welds and crappy ones at that.
#shouldhavegonetospecsavers

It's a very different frame to the 94/95 Reynolds 653 Dawes Edge. Made in 853 for one year only 1996 in Dawes Team yellow very thick powdercoat. Different geometry than the 653 versions, shorter in the top tube. I picked one up on ebay a while ago and haven't done much with it since.

The fillet brazing on mine is a bit agricutural but I guess this is offset by being a rare one year only frame. From 97 onwards the Edge was aluminium. Replacement decals are available from Gil - he kindly created a set for me.

Who made them? there are no real clues on the frame but I assume dawes had switched to far east production by then but assembled in the UK.

Interesting frame for sure...I didn't know this was a year only model so every day is a school day!

FWIW it is fillet brazed, the brazing has just been left in it's unfiled state, as with the earlier Edge frames. That said, it looks untidy nonetheless. I'm not sure why they bothered really as 853 can be TIG'd easily enough, and would probably have made for a lighter frame.

I had a '92 653 Edge which was a lovely looking thing, in a deep metallic red. It had similar brazing, just a lot neater. It looked almost identical to the Lee Cooper made Orbit frames. No idea if he had a hand in these though :)

Interesting frame for sure...I didn't know this was a year only model so every day is a school day!

FWIW it is fillet brazed, the brazing has just been left in it's unfiled state, as with the earlier Edge frames. That said, it looks untidy nonetheless. I'm not sure why they bothered really as 853 can be TIG'd easily enough, and would probably have made for a lighter frame.

I had a '92 653 Edge which was a lovely looking thing, in a deep metallic red. It had similar brazing, just a lot neater. It looked almost identical to the Lee Cooper made Orbit frames. No idea if he had a hand in these though :)
were you the winner?

The opening bid was mine and then I breathed a sigh of relief when I was outbid because it isn't really big enough for me. Also, I'd rather a 653 Synthesis or Edge.

Back