Very rare Dawes Edge - 1996 Reynolds 853

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That's a lot more than I expected it to go for. I might have been tempted if it had the original rigid fork option, but I wouldn't have gone that high.

Tricky to put a value on it I think. Dawes as a brand are more sought after for their touring bikes rather than their mountain bikes but is £221 a bargain for an 853 frame and M737 / 9 components throughout?

Tricky to put a value on it I think. Dawes as a brand are more sought after for their touring bikes rather than their mountain bikes but is £221 a bargain for an 853 frame and M737 / 9 components throughout?
I would say so.
Look how much 853 frames go for with a boutique American or Canadian brand.

It all depends on whether you want the name or the ride.

So I've been looking at this eBay listing of Dawes 531 the edge extra posted above. What's the DL on this? It's in my city so would be an easy purchase for me, but am I correct in reading that it's not actually a Dawes edge, but something else?

Is it possible it's not even 531? (No 531 decals remaining) and the decals that are present are in different places to the original it seems. But the colour scheme seems right for an edge.

I'd be using it as a general purpose get about, plus the occasional tour so will get rack and mudguards. 200 seems reasonable for a fully functional, not too tatty ride to me. But not if it's a gas pipe heavy weight with the average wheels and components

Arrrgh! Any thoughts?
Cheers guys. Love the vibe on these here forums 🤙

So I've been looking at this eBay listing of Dawes 531 the edge extra posted above. What's the DL on this? It's in my city so would be an easy purchase for me, but am I correct in reading that it's not actually a Dawes edge, but something else?

Is it possible it's not even 531? (No 531 decals remaining) and the decals that are present are in different places to the original it seems. But the colour scheme seems right for an edge.

I'd be using it as a general purpose get about, plus the occasional tour so will get rack and mudguards. 200 seems reasonable for a fully functional, not too tatty ride to me. But not if it's a gas pipe heavy weight with the average wheels and components

Arrrgh! Any thoughts?
Cheers guys. Love the vibe on these here forums 🤙

It could be 531, 501 or 500. If the fork is original, then probably not 531 as it would have had the straight blade Geo-max. Based on the colour it might be a Kcikback Competition (possibly a New Wave, but the colour looks a more purpley blue).

It would make a decent runaround, but I'd suggest it's well overpriced.

Back