Very rare Dawes Edge - 1996 Reynolds 853

I like that a lot, particularly the oldschool seatstay caps. Another nice detail is the 'lug' around the top and bottom of the headtube. I've had issues with old fillet brazed and tigged bikes ovalising on the head tube with age and use, a problem less seen in fully lugged bikes where it's reinforced - this one's got the best of both worlds. And the state of the brazing: discerningly primitive ;)

A heads up for any potential buyer, Gil at retrodecals (and on Retrobike) has the artwork to create new decals - with the exception of the Dawes logos on the rear stays ( I thought they looked naff so didn't ask him to re-create them)

A heads up for any potential buyer, Gil at retrodecals (and on Retrobike) has the artwork to create new decals - with the exception of the Dawes logos on the rear stays ( I thought they looked naff so didn't ask him to re-create them)
Pics of your Dawes Edge pls!

Pics of your Dawes Edge pls!
Unfortunately the bike was a complete mess when I got it, it clearly had a hard paper round. Most parts were well worn and the frame with lots of scrapes and scratches. It currently resides in the man cave in pieces waiting patiently for me to find somewhere to re-powdercoat it in that rather fetching yellow colour. I did try to cut / polish the majority of the marks out of it to rebuild as is but could not get a nice enough finish.

Indeed, and not forgetting Orbit as well. The Lee Cooper built frames have really nice unfiled brazing :D

This Dawes will be a bargain for somebody I am sure...

Seems someone sees value in Dawes.....

added in this.....campag rims....bonkers paint.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26519575...g:y7cAAOSw5k5gyuno&LH_ItemCondition=3000|7000

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 13.00.53.png

lugged frame, mish mash..not the fancy fillet n chips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274710631088?hash=item3ff60792b0:g:T5EAAOSwTg5gRJLp

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.51.26.png

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
lugged frame, mish mash..not the fancy fillet n chips.

I wonder how many of those have managed to keep their XTR.

Seems someone sees value in Dawes.....

added in this.....campag rims....bonkers paint.

I've always liked those Special Editions, especially the paint. Quite a few of them seem to have survived, given there were only 250 originally, iirc. Aside from the shifter and pedals most of that one looks pretty original.

I wonder how many of those have managed to keep their XTR.

I've always liked those Special Editions, especially the paint. Quite a few of them seem to have survived, given there were only 250 originally, iirc. Aside from the shifter and pedals most of that one looks pretty original.

The paints bonkers....maybe thats whats kept a few alive.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back