Cook's Quality Products CQP Titanium 177mm

Radrider

Devout Dirtbag
Found in some far away classifieds for $100CAD. Yup.

Looks to be some odd welds on the non-drive side. Top and bottom spot welds 1" from the pedal threads. Repair, or?

I had never before seen a ti version with the spherical* ends like the aluminum, usually they are cylinders on the ti ones.
Since doing some more research I have read that this was an upgrade to improve the Q-factor*.
Also have read these where $600USD in 1994!

321g with road spider

will get better pics when it arrives

Attachments

• p6pb20215209 (2).jpg
    p6pb20215209 (2).jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 476
Are they definitely Ti...they also made welded steel cranks called the f-2000.

Attachments

• zzzzz.jpg
    zzzzz.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 395
Re: Re:

Radrider":9wsap96z said:
"321g with road spider"

Yup these are titanium.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-RARE-CQP- ... 3232257630
wowzers* I've heard whispers of them going for half this...but jesus that's a little absurd.
Those welds are shocking, I've only ever seen them with small, neat welds before...perhaps these were re-welded at some point.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

For histories sake.

Here are some pics of this CQP titanium crankset with the rare barrel ends.

These came today in a box without any padding, just rattling around..lol. You get what you pay for. After 10 minutes with some 600grit they are looking pretty nice.

Re:

new pics with clear shots of the spot welds on the non-drive side.

Now seems clear that the spot welds where part of a process to replace the barrel end of the non-drive side crank. The welds are very neat on this repair and makes me think it was done by CQP in late 1993 or 1993 when they had perfected their welding technique.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    670.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    527.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    547.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    576.8 KB · Views: 254
Welding looks quite nice, never seen this round shape of the pedal side. Years ago I bought a new pair of the same model black coated steel version for quite a lot of €uro (Think it was like 3 -500. These were a teenage dream of mine about `93 or so)... I then quickly found out that they were 100% unusable. The square taper on one side was welded like 7 degrees off clockwise and one pedal axis was horizontally off by maybe 5 degrees. These were new - never mounted. I then had an argument with the seller because I could not believe he didn t know. It was visible easily by the eye.. I posted this case in a forum at that time and several people said this kind of production quality was normal for that time small custom products.. I don t quite remember exactly but I got rid of them think I lost money...
So you should check the alignment of pedal axes if you plan to ride them. Just lightly stick them on a square taper opposite each other with pedal axes mounted. Mine were 5 cm apart from each other.

Back