Cook Bros Stem in 1 1/4 real or fake?

The text from the ads posted above suggests that only the highest quality of materials were used in Cook products. Titanium quill and bolts, magnesium wedge, etc.

Yes that was one of our first Mt. bike stems. I started producing them for a couple of reasons, first being that none of the other early stem fabricators were making their stems at a higher angle that myself & fellow RADS (down in Laguna) needed for the "cliff diving" trails that we were pioneering out of Laguna Canyon ( LOOOONG before the kids up in BC "claimed" to have "invented" Freeriding). Second being that I was trying to keep the welding/ fabrication side of my company alive while I personally was doing the CAD/ CAM for our CNC machined bike parts, as well as contract aerospace parts.

I was "on the fence" regarding whether i wanted to continue building Fury's and was welding stems for Ross Shafer (Salsa), making the first couple of hundred of the S&M BMX frames, plus welded components for several Baja race truck companies... But my welders were driving me crazy!!! They would spend "highters" (aka: snorting or smoking coke all night long) at Punk rock & roll clubs up in Hollywood, then show up to work the next morning... and be totally USELESS! Or worse, put out bad product then have temper tantrums when I called them out about it!

Man, you have got to LOVE CNC machines... Give them a good program (my forte), and push the "GO" button!

Yes that was one of our first Mt. bike stems. I started producing them for a couple of reasons, first being that none of the other early stem fabricators were making their stems at a higher angle that myself & fellow RADS (down in Laguna) needed for the "cliff diving" trails that we were pioneering out of Laguna Canyon ( LOOOONG before the kids up in BC "claimed" to have "invented" Freeriding). Second being that I was trying to keep the welding/ fabrication side of my company alive while I personally was doing the CAD/ CAM for our CNC machined bike parts, as well as contract aerospace parts.

I was "on the fence" regarding whether i wanted to continue building Fury's and was welding stems for Ross Shafer (Salsa), making the first couple of hundred of the S&M BMX frames, plus welded components for several Baja race truck companies... But my welders were driving me crazy!!! They would spend "highters" (aka: snorting or smoking coke all night long) at Punk rock & roll clubs up in Hollywood, then show up to work the next morning... and be totally USELESS! Or worse, put out bad product then have temper tantrums when I called them out about it!

Man, you have got to LOVE CNC machines... Give them a good program (my forte), and push the "GO" button!

I was going to say that the mitering on the quill side suspiciously looks like the way Salsa did it. Thanks for clearing that up (and the anecdotes)!

Back