Concorde Colombo build

Re:

A few more details:

The frame only had one bottle cage so I added another. I did this after decaling otherwise I would’ve needed to cut the decal around the new bosses. These were added with a nutsert tool. Alloy nutserts because I don’t have an air-powered tool (stainless are also available but can’t be installed well with the hand tool. They will feel firm at first but quickly start to spin). I used a good blob of copper grease around each one, I do this on all my bikes when putting dissimilar metals together.

Attachments

• 24F8F5FD-B614-43D3-BC65-98C107A37410.jpeg
    24F8F5FD-B614-43D3-BC65-98C107A37410.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 338
Re:

Hearts at both ends filled with a contrasting colour. I used ceramic-painting pens for this. My wife uses them a lot but I often steal them to touch up small chips in bike frames. They go on matt so normally add a touch of Johnson’s Klear to gloss them (this is for sealing floors but excellent for paint jobs, sprays well neat through an airbrush. Doesn’t react with anything. Want to spray hot laquer over a decal? Spray with Klear first. Nitrocellulose over acrylic? Same thing).

The factory paint job fills the triangle cutouts too but I think it looks a bit naff.

Attachments

• 61D4CAB1-84BE-4D32-BECB-9F6BC7ECA076.jpeg
    61D4CAB1-84BE-4D32-BECB-9F6BC7ECA076.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 334
Re:

Ultatorque shells installed, actually go quite nicely with the Aelle label. Italian thread so I’ve marked the drive side to spot if it moves through precession. Again, using my wife’s ceramic pens.

Excuse the dirt, took it for a shakedown spin.

Attachments

• 9BD658A8-F84E-4340-9936-9AFDE0FC9CE6.jpeg
    9BD658A8-F84E-4340-9936-9AFDE0FC9CE6.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 334
I’ve routed the cables so they don’t rub the head tube while the paint is still relatively soft. I might change this later but quite like how it is.

Re:

If the derailleur cable looks a bit funny, it’s because i’m using an adapter to use a Shimano cassette. The adapter is a pulley and takes the last bit of cable through a 90 degree turn. I’ve also used a drop-link so the Campy derailleur will take an 11-28 here, although I’ve also got an 11-34 XT cassette for hilly rides. I used this setup with the same components on a winter bike. 39/52 up front and 11-34 behind = fun!

Attachments

• 6DF66C50-5AC1-4F0B-BFC3-5200941E1490.jpeg
    6DF66C50-5AC1-4F0B-BFC3-5200941E1490.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 333
Excellent work.... nice to see a real tidy build thread on here

A quick aside about Shimano cassettes. I have Campy ergos on three bikes now, all running shimano cassettes and chains. This is mainly because they’re much cheaper but they also have better ranges and I can hand-me-down parts across all bikes.

In this case I’m using Centaur 10s brifters and derailleur with Shimano cassette. This will work to a point with no adapter if you fiddle with the limit screws. It’ll never be perfect though. The J-Tech adaptor changes the pull ratio and makes it spot on. It does add a tiny bit of weight to the gear change.

On my best bike I use Chorus 11s brifters and derailleur with Shimano cassette. This works natively.

On my winter bike I use Veloce 10s brifters but with a Shimano GRX clutch derailleur and 11-42 cassette. This also works natively. Yes, Shimano have accidentally given Campy ergo users a 1x option! It has to be the GRX 400 model though. Have we seen any vintage steel bikes with an ultra-modern 1x setup? A polished C-Record crankset with a narrow-wide chainring would look pretty cool! I’m sure some forum members are reading this in horror...

Peachy!":roaugblt said:
Excellent work.... nice to see a real tidy build thread on here

Cheers, I’m really pleased with it. It’ll be used for summer trips to the office, a nice 18 mile b-road route. It rides really nice and doesn’t feel an 8 multipack of Coke heavier than my best bike on the road, in fact I don’t think it’s much slower.

BTW If my wife asks, it’s not a new bike - it’s the old bike with a new frame.

Re:

A couple of last things. I swapped out the seatpost compared to an earlier photo, the Chorus one was nice but at the height I need it, the Campagnolo text was half hidden in the frame. I’m vain but also value my knees so sourced another with the shield logo much higher. A Victory model? I’d prefer to have more post out of the frame but the frame is one size bigger than I normally use. I could get a bit of height back by using a lower profile saddle though . The modern SI Flite on my best bike is 15mm shallower!

Does anyone have a ‘Flite 1990’ and know the dimension, bottom of the rail to top of the saddle?

Pedals are Decathlon own brand Keo compatible, they were white but I polished that off to reveal the bare metal.

Back