Concorde American Eagle XC bike

Middx

Dirt Disciple
Would anyone happen to know the history of this frame and it's province?, From what I know, American Eagle is associated with Bart Brentjens, and Concorde is apparently an old road brand. How are these 2 connected?. According to the seller, this bike was prepared for the 2000 British Olympics team s-l1600.jpeg

Attachments

• s2.jpeg
    s2.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 18
  • s3.jpeg
    s3.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 19
I remember Nick Craig riding a Concorde circa 1999-2001. I believe they were a Dutch import made in the far east. Indeed... more noted as a road brand.

I have a 95 American Eagle Concorde Big Bear with a double butted Tange frame and Ritchey dropouts,its a nice bike.They were a Dutch brand that used the "American"moniker to drum up sales as people gravitated to U.S. brands.Caroline Alexander was a factory rider in 1999 so there is an olympic connection.I doubt if the entire team were issued American Eagles but maybe this one was used by Alexander as a specific training bike around the time of the olympics but not actually in the race.The history of the brand in that era is sketchy at best.

Last edited:
Hi,
first of all, this is a very nice bike 👍
It looks pretty similar to the American Eagle Frame sets as shown in 1998 catalog
America Eagle HT from 1998 catalog.jpg

I hope yours is similar lightweight.

A few things have been said already about Concorde and American Eagle. A few more comments from my side as i find the American Eagle bike story pretty intresting:

Concord is a traditional dutch bike brand.
Roughly 1994 they have also started another bike brand called American Eagle. Nice, sporty bikes, typically also offering a lot of value (and nice components like Ritchey) for an attractive price.
The name was certainly used to create the impression that this is an American bike ;) ,
Actually, it was even reused, it was created by ~ 1960 already by West Coast Cycle. They have sold their bikes produced in Japan with that name in USA, "before changing the name – when a customer suggested it was disingenuous to put such an American-sounding name on a Japanese product".

Anyway, Concord used that name to put such a name on an most likely Taiwanses product :rolleyes:.

They had even strange stickers like "AE USA, Monterey, California"
american eagle ritchey zmax amber Vohburg.jpg
but also all bikes had a "by Concord" logo too
American Eagle by Concord.jpg

The have sponsored a racing team and Bart Brentjens won first Olympic MTB race in Atlanta 1996, the fans in Atlanta though even he won with a local brand...

As said the Bike portfolio was produced in Asia, still the race winning bike from Bart was actually a custom build from Markus Storck.
American Eagle Atlanta Bikes aus Bike 1996_09.jpg

Already end of 90this or early 2000, they've went bankrupt.
My guess is just that this was for American Eagle. and that Concord kept on doing bikes, and maybe the sporty bikes sold as American Eagle got simply a Concord only brand name.

In 2016 Bart Brentjes has started with Henk Schipper, they owner of the brand name meanwhile, the bike brand American Eagle again.

Nowadays they do sell mainly E-Bikes in cooperation with Bafang

Last edited:
Hi,
first of all, this is a very nice bike 👍
It looks pretty similar to the American Eagle Frame sets as shown in 1998 catalog
View attachment 676612

I hope yours is similar lightweight.

A few things have been said already about Concorde and American Eagle. A few more comments from my side as i find the American Eagle bike story pretty intresting:

Concord is a traditional dutch bike brand.
Roughly 1994 they have also started another bike brand called American Eagle. Nice, sporty bikes, typically also offering a lot of value (and nice components like Ritchey) for an attractive price.
The name was certainly used to create the impression that this is an American bike ;) ,
Actually, it was even reused, it was created by ~ 1960 already by West Coast Cycle. They have sold their bikes produced in Japan with that name in USA, "before changing the name – when a customer suggested it was disingenuous to put such an American-sounding name on a Japanese product".

Anyway, Concord used that name to put such a name on an most likely Taiwanses product :rolleyes:.

They had even strange stickers like "AE USA, Monterey, California"
View attachment 676618
but also all bikes had a "by Concord" logo too
View attachment 676619

The have sponsored a racing team and Bart Brentjens won first Olympic MTB race in Atlanta 1996, the fans in Atlanta though even he won with a local brand...

As said the Bike portfolio was produced in Asia, still the race winning bike from Bart was actually a custom build from Markus Storck.
View attachment 676613

Already end of 90this or early 2000, they've went bankrupt.
My guess is just that this was for American Eagle. and that Concord kept on doing bikes, and maybe the sporty bikes sold as American Eagle got simply a Concord only brand name.

In 2016 Bart Brentjes has started with Henk Schipper, they owner of the brand name meanwhile, the bike brand American Eagle again.

Nowadays they do sell mainly E-Bikes in cooperation with Bafang
Crikey Joglo, thanks for all that info!

Back