Collecting vintage kids bikes?

zerogravitas

Retro Guru
Any opinions on the value (or otherwise) of vintage children's bikes? I was tempted by this lovely mini bike at my local charity furniture place, in amongst the rusting Argos and Halford rubbish. £25 was a bit steep but I wonder if anyone out there collects this kind of thing?

IMG_20211009_145730.jpg

Hi,
I don't, although I did buy a small framed retro MTB I am hoping to get one of my sons on to one day.
I would guess that main market for such a thing would be as a prop for a toy shop display or even a theatre production of Pete Pan etc.
Not sure that it would get a collector going but I could be misjudging that based on what I like?
Anyway have your tried searching ebay archives fir vintage kids bike listings? That might give you an idea.
Rich.

Not a collector, but I did succumb when this little fella was offered for sale for €25. No idea what I am going to do with it, but awww, so cute ...

1k0.jpg

Any opinions on the value (or otherwise) of vintage children's bikes? I was tempted by this lovely mini bike at my local charity furniture place, in amongst the rusting Argos and Halford rubbish. £25 was a bit steep but I wonder if anyone out there collects this kind of thing?

View attachment 576184
Not sure on the current situation and maybe not a complete answer. Back in the 1980’s when my brother and I first started going on veteran cycle club rides with our grandparents - my grandad always said it was this size of bike that was the hardest to acquire. Several factors - kid’s bikes weren’t always the best looked after as they had a limited life span to the owner, given the time elapsed - probably 75 years or so back then, not many were left. Despite their rarity the value didn’t increase accordingly again due to limited life span for the collector so made them almost less desirable. Someone/a collector (most we knew bought bikes they would ride not just look at) buying a similar aged adult bike would know it could be a lifetime purchase if that makes sense so would pay more. Consequently the audience is mostly limited to families who are part of the veteran cycle scene. Contrast that with something like Isla Bikes which are very child specific but hold their value really well as I guess the audience is anyone with kids and wants them to cycle!

Back