Claud Butler Shaman Silver DofE project finished pg11

Re: Father & Daughter Claud Butler Shaman Silver DofE project

As promised, progress shots of the decal/sticker application..... :D What can I say? chip off the old block, me thinks..... :cool: (NB Jimmy in the background making sure she does it right!) :roll:

Attachments

• 1991 Claud Butler Shaman Deore LX  (6).jpeg
    1991 Claud Butler Shaman Deore LX (6).jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 821
  • 1991 Claud Butler Shaman Deore LX  (5).jpeg
    1991 Claud Butler Shaman Deore LX (5).jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 821
  • 1991 Claud Butler Shaman Deore LX  (2).jpeg
    1991 Claud Butler Shaman Deore LX (2).jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 821
  • 1991 Claud Butler Shaman Deore LX  (1).jpeg
    1991 Claud Butler Shaman Deore LX (1).jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 821

Wow! That is looking really nice. That pink and the decals make it look so much classier.
Watching to see how it builds up but well impressed so far. Job well done to Ms Peachy.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":3lk531lr said:
Wow! That is looking really nice. That pink and the decals make it look so much classier.
Watching to see how it builds up but well impressed so far. Job well done to Ms Peachy.

Jamie

Cheers Jamie.

So today we thought we'd have a crack at stripping down the donor bike, a ’92 Chimera I bought off ebay a while bike really cheaply as a donor for the Antaeus. But as that build went more catalogue correct with full XT kit, this LX group-set was going begging. Just wanted to swap out the 36h black Wolber AT18’s for some silver one’s (I need the black for a Cape Wrath I’m planning). ;)

I knew this Spectre had pretty much all its original kit, but I must admit I haven’t paid much attention to it other than some light lubrication then I’ve just used it to practice evening riding for Mountain Mayhem. So no cleaning and no real close inspection… but as I removed the tyres to start stripping the wheel down I was met by a pleasant surprise.. a pair of Tioga Farmer Johns Nephew tyres! :shock: They’re going to get some TLC and will re-appear on my 1989 Pagan. :D

Attachments

• Spectre.jpeg
    Spectre.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 774
  • FarmerJohnsNephew.jpeg
    FarmerJohnsNephew.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 774

Wow, the pink with yellow looks so damn nice! Great choice, and all black parts would suit it perfectly.

Jamis Diablo":ncdwjola said:
Wow, the pink with yellow looks so damn nice! Great choice, and all black parts would suit it perfectly.

Cheers, I think so to.

Work is suposed to start tomorrow... if she gets out of bed before mid-day :facepalm:

Finally got Miss Peachy to make the next step, fitting the headset… :D
I know the 1 1/8th HP-M564 was a couple of years latter and more a mid-90’s piece of kit, but NOS ones are still around at reasonable prices, so that’s what we are going with.
The Head set clamp I have seems to have been designed for everything other than a 1 1/8th hence it flipped upside down and we fixed each cup separately.
Both went in with no trauma.

Forks went into the freezer for a couple of hours, lower head cone housing was placed on the bench vice under the heat gun for ten minutes.

Popped into place really easy.

Bit of copper grease to make sure the aluminium upper head cone housing and lock nut don’t seize, and we’re done. :cool:

Not going to push my luck today, but next job will be some wheel building. ;)

Attachments

• HP-M564 LXHeadset (1).jpeg
    HP-M564 LXHeadset (1).jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 681
  • HP-M564 LXHeadset (4).jpeg
    HP-M564 LXHeadset (4).jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 682
  • HP-M564 LXHeadset (5).jpeg
    HP-M564 LXHeadset (5).jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 680
  • HP-M564 LXHeadset (2).jpeg
    HP-M564 LXHeadset (2).jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 680
  • HP-M564 LXHeadset (3).jpeg
    HP-M564 LXHeadset (3).jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 681

Amazing build, really nice project to share :)

Minifreak":3flmrhsx said:
Amazing build, really nice project to share :)

Cheers, although I think a theme of only doing the clean stuff is developing! :facepalm:

xxnick1975":3flmrhsx said:
Looks good, headset looks smart

Interesting the Crown race technique.

Yup, the hot/cold routine never fails.... ;)

Ok, time for some proper build. :D

I placed a pair of Wolber AT18’s (recently wiped down with a pleasant smelling citreous cleaner) 🤦 a set of LX-M550 hubs, a stack of stainless steel Sapim spokes, a spoke tool and some instructions in front of Miss Peachy, then went to the kitchen to make us a brew…

When I returned, she’d already started.. cracking job too :cool: Wolber Re-build (1).jpeg Wolber Re-build (2).jpeg Wolber Re-build (3).jpeg

Last edited:
Back