Claud butler frame number enquiry

Thank you very much indeed. This information has made my day I'm very grateful indeed and amazed at how quickly all this information was provided. I really appreciate it thank you
PS the original gears were Campagnolo
Many thanks again
Howard

Thank you very much indeed. This information has made my day I'm very grateful indeed and amazed at how quickly all this information was provided. I really appreciate it thank you
PS the original gears were Campagnolo
Many thanks again
Howard
Our pleasure, now we want to see you start a restoration thread with lots of progress photos, no matter how quick or long it takes 😉

Hello all. I am new to the forum and would appreciate any assistance in identifying the age and model of a Claud Butler that I have that was my father's. The frame number is 4071356, suggesting it was made in 1940. This would fit wth what he told me of buying it in the war when he was a young teenager. It is a lugless 531 frame with touring profile forks. I am looking to get it refurbished and would like to know what it is and who best I should contact to source period-correct parts. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Hello all. I am new to the forum and would appreciate any assistance in identifying the age and model of a Claud Butler that I have that was my father's. The frame number is 4071356, suggesting it was made in 1940. This would fit wth what he told me of buying it in the war when he was a young teenager. It is a lugless 531 frame with touring profile forks. I am looking to get it refurbished and would like to know what it is and who best I should contact to source period-correct parts. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
I would agree looks like 1940 build, that year they broke slightly from the typical numbering system. In the 30's & 40's the first digit signified the year and the second digit, or two, the month. But in 1940 the number would have started with 0, i think they decided to start this particular year with 40, or indeed nothing at all. The remaining digits are a sequential build number. So when looking at numbers from these decades you have to look at the frame style to guess the decade, then the first digit for the year. After that you need to look at the length of the number and the magnitude of the last 3 or 4 digits. For instance a long number with the second two digits as 10, 11 or 12 should have the last four digits way up in the 3000-5000 range. A short number with the second digit as a 1 would have the last 3 digits less than 999. Hope that makes sense.

So being from 1940 this frame number is from July and has the seq. number of 1356 which fits with the slightly chaotic other numbers for this year collected in the database. To ID the frame model we would need to see some pictures as there would be a few lugless options. I am sure Peachy can confirm all this once he has seen the pics.

1940 catalog can be found here. http://nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_40/CB1940_Cat.htm

1639752172942.png

Can’t really add anything to the above until we see some photos.

Thank you Retro Guru for your very informative and helpful reply. The bike is currently at my sister's house and I am getting some photos taken by her and hope to be able to post them in the next day or two.

Please see attached photos of the frame, which confirm the serial number as #4071356. Any further advice on identifying the model type would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Claud Butler Photo 1.jpg
    Claud Butler Photo 1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Claud Butler Photo 2.jpg
    Claud Butler Photo 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Claud Butler Photo 3.jpg
    Claud Butler Photo 3.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Claud Butler Photo 4.jpg
    Claud Butler Photo 4.jpg