Claud butler cordon bleu and twin tube

Justonemorebike

Dirt Disciple
A friend of mine has finally decided he won't be restoring a 1959 Claud butler cordon bleu or his 56 Claud butler twin tube. This has lugs but not chromed ( lugs look almost identical to the cordon bleu although the think paint hides some details he did remove a bit of paint just to see if they were chromed etc) has asked if I am interested which I am. Both have been stripped and brush painted in black gloss used as pub bikes and are now just frames and forks waiting for restoration. I saw them once years ago and remember thinking they had much potential and although ruff paint no major issues. Question how do these bikes ride say into comparison to a later 80's 531 frames? Also I am in the slightly difficult position of setting the price being a friend he has said pay what you think they are worth so I want to give a fair but not eBay inflated price for them but have no idea what a fair price would be? Can anyone help eBay seems to swamped in prices from a few pounds to hundreds. For similar vintage frames. These definitely need a respray and no original paint survives apparently.

A friend of mine has finally decided he won't be restoring a 1959 Claud butler cordon bleu or his 56 Claud butler twin tube. This has lugs but not chromed ( lugs look almost identical to the cordon bleu although the think paint hides some details he did remove a bit of paint just to see if they were chromed etc) has asked if I am interested which I am. Both have been stripped and brush painted in black gloss used as pub bikes and are now just frames and forks waiting for restoration. I saw them once years ago and remember thinking they had much potential and although ruff paint no major issues. Question how do these bikes ride say into comparison to a later 80's 531 frames? Also I am in the slightly difficult position of setting the price being a friend he has said pay what you think they are worth so I want to give a fair but not eBay inflated price for them but have no idea what a fair price would be? Can anyone help eBay seems to swamped in prices from a few pounds to hundreds. For similar vintage frames. These definitely need a respray and no original paint survives apparently.
Did you ever buy these?

@ Justonemorebike its difficult to price these framesets. Do you have any pictures of these? I would certainly be interested with the Claud Butler Twin Tube if it was ever up for sale.
E bay does indeed have inflated prices and its usually old tat overspill that collectors are selling.
Regarding 531 50s bikes vs 80s they both ride well to their eras. I have a 1955 CB built Saxon Twin Tube and a 1982 Raleigh Record Ace. Both bikes can cover serious distances. The Frame angles are more relaxed on 50s bikes but I would say with exeption the 50s TT bike is more responsive and twitchy because of the short wheelbase. Generally though I would say the other 80s bikes I have more upright angles and are more responsive with slightly less comfort.
Hope this helps

Completely forgot about that post, a deal was done it rides well I have to be careful cornering as toe front wheel/ mud guard overlap is a bit close. It does climb well. I used period components which I think hides some of the frames potential.

Completely forgot about that post, a deal was done it rides well I have to be careful cornering as toe front wheel/ mud guard overlap is a bit close. It does climb well. I used period components which I think hides some of the frames potential.
Any Pictures of the bike Justonemorebike here is my 1955 Claud Butler Built Saxon Twin Tube bicycle

Attachments

• 20190712_204318.jpg
    20190712_204318.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 20
Back