Carbon shoes through the washing machine.....thoughts?

slomo

Devout Dirtbag
Anyone done this?
My shoes have carbon plates in the sole (or something like that).
I'm tempted to run them through the washing machine on a cold (ish) wash with non-bio detergent.
My concern is that the carbon will be compromised.
They get wet when it's raining of course.....
But is that different to deliberately immersing them in soap and water for half an hour?
Someone must have done it.....

I would wash them by hand. I wouldn't risk it.
I've put old trainers in washing machine before and I'm sure it made them fall apart.
It's different on your shoes but I can't see why you would risk it.

If the carbon plates are true high-tensile carbon then you'd probably be ok - as far as the carbon is concerned but I wouldn't bet on the adhesives used in the shoes to stand up to continuous immersion.
However, if the plates are (as is more likely) actually carbon reinforced polymer then I wouldn't risk it.

I did this once. Never again. I use stiff brush to clean and a cloth. Love carbon. Made a big difference to my pedalling. Well worth the extra £££

Putting any sort of shoe in the washing machine usually ends badly, warm soapy water and a stiff brush with a rinse under the hose should see them right.

Another Possibility is upside down in the top of the dishwasher. At least you'll know they won't get bashed about in the spin cycle, but take them out before they bake:eek:

The instructions leaflet to my Sidis say not to wash by machine, but handwipe using mildly warm water

guess you are screwed and will have to live with your stinky shoes, don't worry, your partner will advise you about the outside shoe storage soon enough. . :)

remove the in soles, hand wash, put half a tub of bicarb of soda in a paper bag (twice) and stick it in the shoe for a day. clean the outside with a sponge.

or find someone willing to lick your shoes clean, they are carbon after all. :)

Back