Boy, that escalated quickly - '91 ehhh '88 Merlin Mountain

Yeah, I did! But it's still too small for me if it's the small!

I'm 6ft, so really need a 19-21" one. I just couldn't resist the 17" when I found it!

You did great with that price, I reckon.

Frame and forks alone would normally go for about that. Well, these days, anyway. And this one is loaded with goodies.

As you're in LA we should deffo chat. I'm sure you'll be hunting for parts, so I'll keep an eye out for anything you might want/need.

And I reckon this Merlin will be easier than the Clockwork to have ready in time for your Catalina Island trip!

I just got back last night from a big group ride/campout over in Cystal Cove with the Golden Saddle crew. You should bring this along next year!

Maybe I'll have mine ready by then, too. We can be twinsies!

That is about what I thought regarding the price.
I have a wtb thread, pop your head in there !
Crystal Cove ride sounds rad, how was it? I'll def have to try and make it next year.

This one measures

Top tube from mid seat to mid head - 22.5"
Head tube from steering cup to steering cup - 4.5"
Seat tube from top of seat tube to center BB - 18.5"

Looks like a beaut. And if you're going to have those mavic hubs, you are definitely better off having the front only. I had the rear, and the axle was always snapping. 😂
haha. Ok then I shouldn't be buying that NOS matching rear hub, noted.

And thanks, I'm thrilled with it.

That is about what I thought regarding the price.
I have a wtb thread, pop your head in there !
Crystal Cove ride sounds rad, how was it? I'll def have to try and make it next year.

This one measures

Top tube from mid seat to mid head - 22.5"
Head tube from steering cup to steering cup - 4.5"
Seat tube from top of seat tube to center BB - 18.5"
That´s basically a 19in or medium/ large or medium. At 5´7, it´s big for you but nowadays riding bigger bikes is a thing so it may work. Edit: fork is ok.

Interesting ! I wonder if @pw_pw_la bike measures smaller? The '91 catalog had me thinking a small based on the nominal top tube and standover but in hindsight the tires are probably faulting the standover height and I was probably measuring the top tube incorrectly.

Just now measuring wheelbase from mid axel to mid axel it's 41.75" making it a medium by the brochure. That makes sense now as I felt I'd likely be more comfortable on a size down. I'd much rather the better fit over following a bigger bike trend.

Interesting ! I wonder if @pw_pw_la bike measures smaller? The '91 catalog had me thinking a small based on the nominal top tube and standover but in hindsight the tires are probably faulting the standover height and I was probably measuring the top tube incorrectly.

Just now measuring wheelbase from mid axel to mid axel it's 41.75" making it a medium by the brochure. That makes sense now as I felt I'd likely be more comfortable on a size down. I'd much rather the better fit over following a bigger bike trend.
Yes. I would not ride a bike that´s big for me but some skilled riders are doing it and liking the results. Otoh bikes of the 90s were designed w/ 3in saddle to bar drop, long stems and narrow bars. A bigger old bike means a short stem, no drop from salle to bars and stable whelbases.... closer to current trends.

EDIT: top tube measures as "effective": a parallel to ground virtual line from heatube to seat tube.

Well, I've gone from riding bikes "too small" for me, to one's, arguably, "too big".

I feel there are some pros and cons to both.

The main pro to the larger frames is bringing that front end up high enough that older stems/bars are more comfortable on longer rides, as I'm able to have a slightly more upright position. The smaller sized frames still feel better on fast, technical trails, due to their maneuverability.

So I guess a lot depends on preference, and even more on what sort of riding you see yourself doing most regularly.

Or, just keep buying bikes (as it seems you're getting pretty good at that already ;)), so that you have a different one for every different type of ride!

That's been working pretty well so far for me, too! :)

and here it is on a playdate with his older, smaller, brother

the_swap.jpg

'88ish (mystery serial) size small on the left and '91 medium on the right. The small will come home this week and that's adios to the medium.

Back