Bottom bracket, crank advice

Re: Re:

Naboos shoes":31eq8zf9 said:
Cheers, think I’m gonna go for a HT2 to try future proof the bike as much as possible whilst I’m at it

That wont future proof you against anything, 2021 will bring a whole raft of new standards that made the old standards non standard leaving those with the old standards wondering what standards will be the new standards that will be standardised enough to become a standard that they can stand by.

Phew...!

The old standards outnumber the new standards by sheer volume of sales when compared to anything 'new' new so for anyone intending to keep a particular frame running for some time, stock up on a few favourite consumables while you can.

Bizarrely and through no fault of my own, I've ended up with only one square taper BB in four, the rest being Shimano splined as the cranks are everywhere and reasonably cheap to maintain. A further 3 or 4 bikes have external BBs but I'm finding some of the second hand stuff has previously been installed so badly that it has worn through the finish on the axle leaving the cranks unusable.

But now I already have at least 3 different sizes of external BB on the spares shelf for the different axle diameters.

In the olden days it seemed like you had to only worry about the odd sneaky Italian threaded BB - I lost count on the Park site

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... erminology

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":vj4znrh8 said:
In the olden days it seemed like you had to only worry about the odd sneaky Italian threaded BB - I lost count on the Park site
well, don't forget the 20 different axle lengths and two different taper designs........ which were all close enough so that you could *think* you had the right one, until it trashed your crank. at least most of the current standards are painfully different, excepting the 22/24 mm axle stuff, which is almost compatible, but not. At least you find that the first time you use it.

Re:

Haha, I know it won’t future proof me, but I’ve got a tatty old powerspline crank at the moment, and my choice for a replacement is almost zero. I’m already having enough trouble finding a 26” wheel, straight steerer reasonable fork that isn’t going to cost me more than double the cost of the bike, seems to be endless amounts of tapered steerer forks at reasonable prices. Looking at my options at the moment I’m best off with HT2, if I want to keep things simple might just throw a square taper in it.

Re:

Went for a long ride today and the powerspline bb is driving me mad ticking away, I removed and refitted, torqued to spec, still no improvement so going to be my next upgrade. Going to order a HT2 bb from wiggle or similar. Is anybody selling a reasonably priced ht2 compatible crank? Preferably black 104bcd but not a deal breaker, not looking for anything particularly flash/top end.

Re:

I've got a decent Lx ht2 crank and xt bb up for sale right now. After £40 posted. Cranks are in great shape, rings have plenty of life and the xt bb is buttery smooth.

Also have some xt ht2 cranks for sale for a bit more.

Could also do some race face in silver or black, again ht2 with smooth bbs.

Re:

Sounds good. Looking to try and get black crank arms if possible, how much you looking for the black race face? What colour are the xt cranks?
Cheers

Re:

Xt are silver. I think the race face are deus xc triple and are in excellent condition. I'll grab some pics tomorrow for you.

Back