BoTM BotM November 2021 - Non 26" wheels special (26"/24" combo permitted)

Bike of The Month
Well the lad has pulled his BMX, sorry my fault, it was my suggestion. I’d assumed Adrian was trying something different as a bit of fresh air for the comp and that it would attract many bikes that were outside the normal ‘26” retro MTB’ and that might include Trackers, Clunkers, Hybrids, BMX’s, Jump bikes etc etc…
But I guess what it really meant was kids MTB’s?
A BMX is a bike, and it hasn't got 26" wheels, kids ride them along with men, just like MTBs. It has a place, but was that the intention when the thread started on the retro "MTB" botm .

It doesnt matter, each to there own, its just not how i read it, is all.

A BMX is a bike, and it hasn't got 26" wheels, kids ride them along with men, just like MTBs. It has a place, but was that the intention when the thread started on the retro "MTB" botm .

It doesnt matter, each to there own, its just not how i read it, is all.
Agree, although some 80's 24" bmx crusiers with gears overlap with vintage MTBs. Also, Klunkers adopted a lot from BMX.

It’s a niche subject to say the least, and one I assume can only be those early 80’s mountain bikes with one wheel larger than t’other, or even earlier 80’s bikes with 24” wheels, but definitely not BMXs or Hybrid tourers.
I don’t know the models specifically (I was too young and too busy racing BMXs in the 80’s to know about them) but I’m sure some were entered in BOTM recently.
@24pouces don't you have one or two of these?
@Si_33 ?

At least it adds a little variety rather than being very similar entries each month.

Mid-late 90’s people were experimenting with wheel size options on 26 inch wheeled bikes. My Spooky was 26 for a year and then went into its current form purely as the local indoor skatepark wouldn’t let 26inch wheeled bikes in. Once converted it made it a lot better for dirt, street, trials etc. It wasn’t as good at riding to those places though and sometimes it was a good 15-25 mile ride to get to a spot we would ride. My mate ran 26/24 on his roast way before the word mullet was associated with bike setup.

I’m sure there are loads of people also running 650b wheels on old Cannondales and Zaskars as they do fit with skinny tyres. The 24 inch cruiser type bmx also should be allowed as they were around too.

I hate it when I open up a can of worms with a themed month🤦‍♂️ though discussion is always good. There's always going to be a grey area I suppose. I'm hoping to see a Cannondale or two, maybe an Ibis, Fat, Topanga, Cleland, GT Tachyon etc

I hate it when I open up a can of worms with a themed month🤦‍♂️ though discussion is always good. There's always going to be a grey area I suppose. I'm hoping to see a Cannondale or two, maybe an Ibis, Fat, Topanga, Cleland, GT Tachyon etc
It's no big deal- we could see some interesting stuff- hey, we already have:D

Bawgixers
91 Gt Quatrefoil
stripped it removed both seized seat posts,blasted n powdercoated the yellow n painted the rear with the red with splatter effect over the top.
Usual new chains cassette bb’s.
Maguras added to help out the braking
lx chainsets,front/rear mechs and set of thumbies
27.5 wheels and tyres in place of the 700d’s.
Think it was just the one yr of 700d setup then moved onto 26” wheels
C744B742-AB68-4FB1-BF23-9E1C256B235E.jpeg C1A65E2F-0143-4C7A-AFE5-717409003DB7.jpeg

Last edited:
Roasted's 1998ish Arrow DSS

Designed for 24" wheels but will take 26", I've built it with 24" Arrow Racing rims and Hope Bulb hubs.

View attachment 581563

View attachment 581564

1997 is the cut off here. Why not try it out in the 1998 and newer competition

Back