Bontrager Ti Lite XL

Stylus

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right, might as well start a build thread on this one ;)

I bought this on a whim a few weeks ago off a fellow Dutch retro enthousiast Dirk (who is probably on here too, just don't know his addy).
Since then i learned it previously belonged to another Dutch collector -Niellesie- and was actually for sale on here a few years ago.

Now I know very little about Bontragers, but i know Keith Bontrager is that dude and his name pops up regularly when it comes to the evolution of mountainbiking, so with that said i plan on doing this thing justice.

The frame was offered on facebook marketplace and a few DM's later i arranged pick up at a train station not too far away, many thanks to Dirk for selling this beauty!

IMG_9747.jpeg

Last edited:
Let the parts hoard begin... 😁

Frames needs forks and this frame has a 1" headtube plus i learned by looking in the old catalogs Ti Lite's were build around 63mm of travel

I'm trying to stay somewhat period correct so that means Rock Shox Judy.

Found this Judy XC advertised online in Germany, looked pretty decent on the photo's and no that isn't a 1" steerer - but that can be fixed

IMG_9922.jpeg

Last edited:
So Bontrager made Rock Shox fork crowns with different off set to stock RS forks. I knew this but never really looked into it.

Of course this bike needs one so i jumped at the chance to buy one... with all that excitement my brains were out the window and i forgot to ask the questions that mattered.
Imagine my surprise when i found out i bought a Mag21 Bontrager crown instead of a Judy one 😢

Just my luck the seller was really understanding and actually had a Judy crown as well

Now fingers crossed the steerer is long enough because i already bought a headset.....

1. Mag21 Bontrager crown
IMG_9883.jpeg

2. Whoops...
IMG_9886.jpeg

3. Much better! Bolt on crown, 1"steerer and black - not 100% sure but assuming this is a Bontrager x Judy crown
IMG_9929.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve added some FSX lowers and a Styff forkbrace to the Judy. Bought those 13 years ago for another project that hasn’t materialized (yet).. might as well. Now just need to swap the crowns and call it done. Maybe some new stickers.

I definitely still need to sort the fork internals. The XC came with red springs instead of elastomers, so that’s good but not sure what cartridges are in there, fingers crossed they were upgraded too but not counting on it.

I’ve managed to track down some blue Judd springs and a RS type 3 damper kit but i think those are the wrong diameter so probably going for the SRP cartridge upgrades unless i can find Englund or White Bros kits.

IMG_9931.jpeg

Last edited:
Got some bars in too, very clean example with original packaging, minimal signs of use.

It's a bit of a sad story here as these came from the David Barrette collection, as i understood mr. Barrette passed away unexpectingly last January leaving behind a impressive Bontrager collection. He did design & packaging work for Trek (Fisher, Bontrager, LeMond amongst others).
Some stuff came to market and i was able to purchase a few parts.

IMG_9928.jpeg

..more parts; i asked Scott if there were any 27.0 mm seatposts in the collection and he pulled out 2 silver one's;
I opted for this Race Lite as it was in nice condition.. i did not realise it was really short at 250mm (also didn't ask) but as I'm eyeballing it next to another bike i might get away with it, fingers crossed.

I like stems and seatpost in the same colour so this silver Bontrager stem immediately had my interest, having a bit of rise also doesn't hurt.
Now i'm looking at loads of Bontrager builds online but i haven't seen any silver stems.. might have picked a rare one here by sheer luck?
IMG_9952.jpeg

Last edited:
..more parts; i asked Scott if there were any 27.0 mm seatposts in the collection and he pulled out 2 silver one's;
I opted for this Race Lite as it was in nice condition.. i did not realise it was really short at 250mm (also didn't ask) but as I'm eyeballing it next to another bike i might get away with it, fingers crossed.
I like stems and seatpost in the same colour so this silver Bontrager stem immediately had my interest, having a bit of rise also doesn't hurt.
Now i'm looking at loads of Bontrager builds online but i haven't seen any silver stems.. might have picked a rare one here by sheer luck?
View attachment 781036

Is the Ti really a 27.0 seat post? Seems odd, thought almost all Bontragers were 26.8 for the most part. Would assume if anything the latter Ti ones would be 27.2.

But hey, you learn something new every day!

Back