The Late, Great Bontrager Race Lite

Thanks PS. I lucked into this frame I think at $250 even with missing brake posts. I did help someone else find a complete Red catalog spec '97 Race Lite with the black crown red Judy and all the rest for a silly price... can't remember exactly but ~$500

If you want a hand finding one stateside I'm always on the prowl and happy to send one your way or even help collect and ship if it's in the LA area. Let me know. Or if you want a purple Race sz M, I'm probably going to let mine go...

I have a fork planned for this bike but I just had to mock up a bit and I can't believe how good it looks like this...

View attachment 725055

View attachment 725054

View attachment 725053

View attachment 725056

That Igleheart is supposed to be married to the '88 Merlin but I'm having serious trouble unseeing this.
Hey Ryne...love the green....what front hub are you using for the radial laced pattern....oh that was me you referred to the silly priced 97 race lite with the bonty crown😁

Hey Ryne...love the green....what front hub are you using for the radial laced pattern....oh that was me you referred to the silly priced 97 race lite with the bonty crown😁
Thanks.

The wheelset is ceramic Valiant hoops on XTR m950

Ya, you =] I still haven't seen a thread for that bike, I know others here would appreciate seeing it too.

Why isn’t it built yet!?

The fork looks perfect.

And I actually think suits the Race Lite more than the Merlin.

Not like it looked bad on the Merlin, but…

Thanks PS. I lucked into this frame I think at $250 even with missing brake posts. I did help someone else find a complete Red catalog spec '97 Race Lite with the black crown red Judy and all the rest for a silly price... can't remember exactly but ~$500

If you want a hand finding one stateside I'm always on the prowl and happy to send one your way or even help collect and ship if it's in the LA area. Let me know. Or if you want a purple Race sz M, I'm probably going to let mine go...

I have a fork planned for this bike but I just had to mock up a bit and I can't believe how good it looks like this...

View attachment 725055

View attachment 725054

View attachment 725053

View attachment 725056

That Igleheart is supposed to be married to the '88 Merlin but I'm having serious trouble unseeing this.
Buy the Koski fork from PW for the Merlin. He is hoarding that fork and not using on any build. The Koski is a much better fit for a Merlin 88.

Ryne, bike and progress looking great! As always, beautiful photography.
Thanks Mark!
Btw... that fork and stem are looking too good on the green racelite.
I agree, happy accidents both as originally both intended elsewhere.
Or get a Ritchey logic fork under the Merlin.
Exactly. I would love to run a Ritchey on the Merlin and my mind immediately went to @pw_pw_la 's but I know he will make perfect use of it at some point. . .gotta be another out there for me somewhere.

I do have a fork in the works for this here Race Lite that may well end up on the Merlin. Or maybe the Merlin and Race Lite will trade forks on occasion.

Why isn’t it built yet!?

The fork looks perfect.

And I actually think suits the Race Lite more than the Merlin.

Not like it looked bad on the Merlin, but…

Right before I took the photos I was installing the BB and it was suuuuper gritty. When I initially got it months back I cleaned it up and stored it but I didn't see that the threads had some fossilized teflon tape or something. I didn't see it today either, I got ~8 or 9 rotations and it felt like sand so I backed it out and scrubbed the BB shell twice before I realized it. Had to submerge the cups into hot water and scrape the threads with a knife and so they were drying as I took the pics. ...special place in hell for teflon tapers.

I'm pretty convinced with this match. I'd mocked it up ages ago with just the fork slid into the head tube but seeing it now with the wheels, seatpost, saddle and cockpit...would almost be wrong not to build it like this. I have everything apart from the guide and saw for the steerer, will see how far I get with it tomorrow.

Back