Bmx cranksies on mountain biksies

Sorry fellers, too lazy to read through 10 pages of chat.

Are there reasonably priced bmx-style cranksies that fit a JIS square taper?

No Cook Bros or Tune racing £400 suggestions please.

And by BMX-style I mean something slim, shiny and rounded.
I like Grafton Topline looks, but they cost a fortune, have a 130bcd and old ones seem to be prone to cracking.

Last edited:
Sugino Maxi / Super Maxi come to mind 110 BCD and JIS - but generally sell for stupid prices to be honest.

Thanks - evilbay prices approaching the likes of Grafton and Tune at times. Ouch.

This is for next year's budget build for a rigid retro mtb that won't be seeing many miles, but will be bumped hard into things when ridden.

I have stripped a pair of XD2 cranks (for the time being I'm assuming the pedals are not permanently stuck in them) but they are 170mm, and I've got 175 on all bikes - don't know if that would make a difference.
Since I have about 8 months before the build I thought I'd keep a beady eye on evilbay for something a bit more stylish, but it will need to be pocket-change cheap.
One would have thought that there should be plenty of square taper old cranksies selling for peanuts, but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks - evilbay prices approaching the likes of Grafton and Tune at times. Ouch.

This is for next year's budget build for a rigid retro mtb that won't be seeing many miles, but will be bumped hard into things when ridden.

I have stripped a pair of XD2 cranks (for the time being I'm assuming the pedals are not permanently stuck in them) but they are 170mm, and I've got 175 on all bikes - don't know if that would make a difference.
Since I have about 8 months before the build I thought I'd keep a beady eye on evilbay for something a bit more stylish, but it will need to be pocket-change cheap.
One would have thought that there should be plenty of square taper old cranksies selling for peanuts, but it doesn't look like it.
What about TA cyclotouriste? Tough as old boots, direct ring attachment, look cool 😎.

Haven't decided on the drivetrain yet, but I'll either be running a £10 cheapo narrow-wide ring (which pretty much restricts me to 110bcd or a very limited choice of 104bcd ones), or a double with an internal gear hub, in which case I want some flexibility in picking the rings, i.e. probably same 110bcd requirement.

PS @Imlach How are those £15 Ali cranksies holding up?

I've only ever seen them in 170 and read some bad reviews about them (made of cheese/square tapers destroyed after two re-installs, cranks cracking at the square hole area under f*t bastards, etc. Probably not a good solution for my bumpety-bump bike 🤔

Yeah mate it's grim there, the occasional bargain but mostly chancers and outright exploiters. Any BMX specific cranks that fit on square taper are being treated like the holy grail. I were looking for bmx specific sugino like Woz mentioned a while back, I gave up as I didn't want to pay upwards of 150 to 200.. A brand new middleburn rs7 from betd with a 104 bcd spider costs me less..

So I guess you're limited to a good bargain on here or the bay of horrors... Or something from Big Ali. Though the sturdy stuff on Big Ali is never nice looking. You mention the cheap cranksies I found that were.. shall we say.. grafton/cooks adjacent? They look nice, the machining seems okish, but I would not trust them for off-road use. I had dubious correspondence with an Aceoffix supplier about them and I'm yet to fit them to anything. For the sake of transparency on Big Ali, I will fit them one day and thrash em for the collective community of cheap China tat. Because there are gold on there, buried knee deep in sewage.

Mickey has a similar set and has ridden them, his opinion of them was rather positive, but I think they were used on tarmac and probably not getting thrashed.

On Big Ali your only option would be the ixf cheapo hollowtech or zrace hollowtech which is naff.. Fovno are nice but also external bb. No good squares on there.

About arm length, some will come and shout me down no doubt but you can easily run 170 without any noticeable difference. I run 165 to 175 on various different bikes, my preference is 165 to 170, but I can run all lengths comfortably. 170 to 175 is neglible IMHO. I know some are ultra specific in their bike fit.. but chances are, unless you always run the same pedals, that you may have experienced similar changes by running say, very thin metal flats on some bikes and thicker composite on others. It'll be fine.

Last edited:
PS @Imlach How are those £15 Ali cranksies holding up?

I've only ever seen them in 170 and read some bad reviews about them (made of cheese/square tapers destroyed after two re-installs, cranks cracking at the square hole area under f*t bastards, etc. Probably not a good solution for my bumpety-bump bike 🤔
Now what I did instead to have a wee bit of class was buy some sugino maxy road cranks, which has 110 bcd inners. The big fecking dinner plate ring is part of the spider though so it'll have a huge ring in front of it. Can grind the teeth off and have a big Frisbee bash guard I suppose..

They're road cranks but with a nice long spindle they'll do the job.

They will be going on one of my mtb conversion to monster cross builds in the future. Possibly on the rockhopper.

20220719_012545.jpg

Last edited:
Back