Advice on selling an upgraded bike

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So when I was commuting, I had the need for a folding bike. Not my thing at all, but I thought if I'm going to do it, I'm doing it in style. Much research and test rides later I bought what I decided was the best looking and best riding one on the market, an airnimal Joey.

A fine frame, trible-esque design, 24 inch wheels, mediocre gearing and brakes. But £1700 later it was mine, and mine to upgrade.

I've pretty much changed everything bsr the headset. I sold off everything I changed aside from the forks.

It's now sporting 10sp xtr gearing, hope pro 2 hubbed 24 inch wheels, custom built pace carbon rc24 inch forks, formula disc brakes, crank bros split skewers for wheels and the folding bits, crank bros grips and iodine 3 saddle and a nicer stem and FSA turbine bars. Upgraded cranks (FSA gossamer with a single ring and bb386 BB).

As it sits it owes me a lot of money, but I've not ridden it in 4 years so time to let it go.

Would I be better off selling it as it is, perhaps with the original forks, accepting I will lose a fair chunk, downgrading some of the parts on it (I could do deore 10sp or something 9sp), cable bb7s, or sell as a frame set and sell or use the bling bits?

Even finding a cheap set of 24 inch wheels as an option to sell as a bike isn't out of the question, nor is turning it to a drop bar build.

Main priority is to sell and clear space, but trying to maximise what I can get as it cost a lot and has barely been used.

There is an airnimal FB group, any other places to sell such a bike?

Last edited:
Yes, we definitely need to see this!
What about LGFSS forum, lots of spendy / quick Brompton / small(er) wheelers on there.

Unless you get lucky, and someone who has your tastes and wants your boutique build - it's always a trade off on time v money. If you put the time in, you probably maximise your financial return on your parts etc through splitting etc. If money is less of an issue, it'll be easier to sell it as a whole. How much do you price your free time on an hourly basis?

I thought I had a build thread but can't find it. I'll try and grab some pics after blowing the dust off.

Found it! Very, VERY nice!

Thanks, couldn't find it when I searched. I have made some small changes since then, mostly skewers in the not so common gold crank bros split style to go with the decals and grip collars and the saddle is now an iodine 11 with the same gold style edging.

20160102_233804-jpg.341879

If you are going to split it they may be some market for kids bike upgrades as well as the adult small wheeler crowd? Lots of Islabikes need a good front end at the moment after the bonded steerer/crown recall (https://www.islabikes.co.uk/pages/safety-notice-june-2022-update)

Be nicer of it stayed together though!

Any idea what weight it's ended up at? I realise it's not a build for ultimate light weight but just interested if you happen to know?

Do you still have all the old parts? I guess not or there would be your answer. It's a difficult one - I've been on the lookout for one of these for a while but not sure I'd want a bling version or commuting, throwing in the work bike shed etc and I suspect a lot of people would feel the same, So you're left with people that would use it as a very nice bike to take with them when travelling. I'd stick it on ebay for a decent BIN when they have one of their "final listing fees" offers on and see if you get any takers. No idea on price though, the ones I've been looking at go for around £7-800 but you'd be looking for double that I guess.

I think there will be enough interest in a Joey, especially one built up like that. Selling stuff means finding the right buyer, and that takes patience anyway. I personally would only take things off I would rather hold on to. It presents very well as is in black with black parts.

Back