Bill Hannington Lightweight

Toecutter

Old School Hero
I've just finished building this one up from a frame; a Bill Hannington of Reading, Berks. Bill was making frames in Reading from the 1950's onward and was closely connected with the local cycle clubs; latterly Reading CC. He also supplied frames to Len Buttrey's cycle shop in Oxford Road, Reading who sold them with their own transfers - I'm very lucky to own one of these. In later years Bill was producing frames from his garden shed in Emmer Green and I understand this example was presented to a long time Reading CC member as a gift circa 1980's. I've used a mixture of parts; SR Drilled 52/42 Chain set, Shimano gears, Wolber large flange Q/R 700 clinchers, GB stem and engraved bars with Weinmann brakes. The frame came devoid of any down tube lettering and so far I've been unable to find any pictures of a Hannington with them. Another owner says it was block lettering but his were lost after a repaint and thinks I've got it right. Any confirmation welcome. What's it like to ride? Goes like the proverbial dream and more besides.

Attachments

• P1060739.JPG
    P1060739.JPG
    989.9 KB · Views: 96
Did you get any decals?
I just aquired a Hannington frame supposedly Bills own bike at some point in time

..that's a result, any chance of putting up a picture please? Re the transfers I had some made up in black block lettering in the style and size that someone remembered them to be - see the photo of the bike on this post. I ended up selling the frame at the Chalfont Jumble earlier this year as it was just a bit on the large size. On the plus side I've acquired a Howell of Reading (Cemetery Junction) frame circa 1950s and I wonder if that might have been built by B.H.
Best wishes,
Shaun

Will get some pictures later. Only unboxed it late last night.
It does have remnants of some bold black lettering on the headtube. Also some on the downtube in white i think.
On seat tube there is quite a bit of a wreath type emblem with "precision lightweights reading" and i think a cspital H

Cheers for that. Here's a picture of the transfer used on the head and seat tubes which may be of interest.
Shaun

Attachments

• Bill Hannington Bike transfer.jpg
    Bill Hannington Bike transfer.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 8
I had seen one like that in the net, maybe even that photo.
I think mine just had bold black Hannington going top to bottom on the HT twice side by side. Will try and show in photo later.
Fastback stays. Lugs have 3 holes in each

That's an interesting looking frame, 22 inches? - the transfer on the seat tube particularly so and I wonder what the rest of it would have looked like. Is that the faint remains of the lettering on the down tube? That will look a stunner when rebuilt.
Shaun

Top tube c2c 22.5inch.
Diwn tube centre BB to top 22inch.
Needs tge middle cable guide replacing on top tube and seatpost currently stuck so by time sorted may need a repaint but will look nice

I'm intrigued by the transfer which is different to the ones on my frame and on the other which I posted here - that was on a child's bike trailer built by BH. Are you sure it's a Hannington frame? If so, perfect size should you ever wish to move it on. The paintwork has a nice look too.
Cheers. Shaun

Back