Bill Hannington Lightweight

Never seen any forks quite like those. The frame is most likely 1950's given the lugs and I wondered if Bill Hannington might have built it though the frame number is 5592 - a high number and possibly built 1955. Someone at Berkshire Cycles remembered the shop at Cemetery Junction having a workshop at the back so it could have been built in house. With your frame the number could be a casting number on the BB, might be worth a look on the rear dropouts and of course, the steerer tube.

On my frame the number is stamped in for sure. Will double check to see if any further numbers are covered in paint and obviously check other areas and steerer

Here's the Len Buttrey - built by Bill Hannington...

Attachments

• P1080255.JPG
    P1080255.JPG
    505.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P1080254.JPG
    P1080254.JPG
    567.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Len Buttrey 2.jpg
    Len Buttrey 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 19
I have a Hannington, got it ten years ago and just about to send it off for painting.
Any way mine had that E.W.H transfer on the seat tube, there was never a downtube transfer and it has a riveted headbadge.
It's circa 1982, nutted calipers, 531 Professional not DB, Suntour ends. shot in stays and rather unique cut out fork crowns with aluminium inserts.
Risking RAL1012 Gallio Limone metalic.
The frame number is 20483 there is no number on the fork

Attachments

• Headbadge.jpg
    Headbadge.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Here she is, and one of the 'lightened' forks
Thanks for that - looks interesting and the plated head tube badge in particular. Might I have seen this bike pictured elsewhere? I am looking / casting around for a 22" or very close to size wise Hannington - the one I had was just a bit too big - reassuring to know that are some others out there. Let us know how the renovation works go, loads of potential there.
Cheers,
Shaun

.,an update on the frame featured on this post a while back by dttlincs. He very kindly sold it to me and after a fair bit of work was finally made road ready today. The jammed alloy seat post had to be chemically removed over eight days with caustic soda - don't try doing that in the kitchen, it really is toxic stuff. New transfers were made up by a fellow V-CC member, a re spray job for the red and silver paintwork during which I found the forks had been originally chromed but were covered in a darker shade of red presumably to cover up the pitted and flaking chrome. These were beautifully re chromed courtesy of a very good one man workshop near Wallingford. I only need to fit a Cateye computer bracket - on order via Ebay and will then give it a proper outing. The parts are fairly eclectic but go well. The gold anodised GB bars, brakes and levers had been intended for another project but look far better on this one, well I think they do. What is particularly pleasing is that this bike has that local connection.

Attachments

• P1070388.JPG
    P1070388.JPG
    739.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P1070386.JPG
    P1070386.JPG
    695.8 KB · Views: 26
Back