Bill Hannington Lightweight

I was sold it as a Hannington supposedly owned by the man himself. I was going to contact Reading CC in case anyone recognised it or confirm it my info is correct. It is stamped 145 in BB. Not checked steerer tube yet. Tgat would suggest a small builder i think

Definitely a Reading build going by the transfer. He must have built a good number of frames over the years and the lugwork on yours looks a more modern type ? I have one of his frames with Ekla type lugs that looks like it was 1950's and built for the Len Buttrey Cycle shop in Oxford Road with their transfers - the frame number on that is 1034 so it's worth you checking the steerer tube. My neighbour was Reading CC and knew BH, I'll show him the picture of your frame.

Thanks. Any further info appreciated.
I doubt i will part with it any time soon but if i change my mind will let you know.
I think i was told it was from 1970 ish.
Will get steerer out at weekend and confirm. Thanks

My friend has seen the pictures but says it doesn't look like B.H's work or recognises the transfer remains but I suppose these guys used whatever lugs and so on they had to hand etc. Try Reading CC Facebook Page though there can't be many members left who would have been around then. Maybe your vendor can remember a few more facts. Let us know how it goes. Here's my new reno project - the Howell of Reading which later became Berkshire Cycles. The transfers are like works of art. The frame was a bit of a dog but has scrubbed up nicely. Good luck.

Attachments

• P1080219.JPG
    P1080219.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 28
  • P1080222.JPG
    P1080222.JPG
    441.2 KB · Views: 28
Ok. Thanks. I guess you can never be 100% sure. Apparently the lugs are Prugnat that have been modified by drilling and resemble a Cinelli lug. Some builders did do that sort of thing rather than leaving standard or building frim scratch.
Nice frame! Who resprayed it?
I have a Holmes of Welling currently off for paint.

My Hannington had Prugnat lugs too, wish I had made a note of the frame number and where it was located. The Howell came in a mix of dark blue with traces of the brighter shade (which I used) under the remains of the down tube transfers and it seemed to be covered in traces of cement - probably old varnish that someone had slapped all over. The forks had been repainted green! I only discovered later that someone had cut the length of the steerer tube - how stupid was that. I did the respray and also painted back in the transfers which was quite straightforward. The steerer tube had to be cut and an insert tube welded in. Picture attached of how it looked.

Attachments

• Howell of Reading 1.jpg
    Howell of Reading 1.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 15
A labour of love and it's a great bike to ride - all older alloy parts fitted but I must admit the steerer tube was a worry as the forks are so unique and I wanted to keep them with the frame. Two more frames in the pipe line for rebuilds..

A labour of love and it's a great bike to ride - all older alloy parts fitted but I must admit the steerer tube was a worry as the forks are so unique and I wanted to keep them with the frame. Two more frames in the pipe line for rebuilds.

Back