Better stem to go with my rocky mountain.

Thunderchief

Devout Dirtbag
Hi guys, I have recently finished my restoration of my old rocky mountain hammer. I took it for a ride around sherwood pines, and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the very head down arse up riding position gave me a sore neck, so I'm looking to raise the bars a bit to relive it as much as possible.

So I'm looking to replace my Ibeam stem with some thing with more rise and perhaps a bit shorter, I would also like something that looks a bit more in keeping with the skinny steel. :)

So has anyone got any recommendations for a good stem that might meat my requirements? It should be black and be period correct for 93-97

Here is a link to my build thread, finished pics are on page four.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Cheers

Simon.

well, at least you are using Ahead - why not try Ritchey 'classic' series bars and stem?

_mg_5435_770.jpg

Similar to pictured but with a slight rise in both stem and bar -

Ritchey-Classic.jpg

the tioga ones as fitted to GT's of that era came with a rise and in black
a bit plain and un-spectacular tho

syncros maybe?

mikee":1xn7d1hs said:
the tioga ones as fitted to GT's of that era came with a rise and in black
a bit plain and un-spectacular tho

syncros maybe?

I was just looking for a picture of one and I think it is one of the stems I wanted back in the day. Although they all look a bit long and low to me, I think that I might be a problem finding something retro that has a high rise.

Are not syncros quite expensive? I don't want to spend too much.

I quite like the look of those Ritchey stems, although they are modern and I would prefer some thing retro.

Thanks for the suggestions

i think you need more than just to replace the stem to get enough height for your front end. i say replace the steerer with longer so you can add some spacers below the stem base to elevate it. maybe 20-30mm worth? that's in addition to getting a stem with a decent amount of rise on it.

i've gotten a few Syncros quill stem with a fair amount of rise on a few of my builds. not so much Syncros ahead/threadless stems though, but maybe because i've not looked for those as often.

RockiMtn":1ztyn1fe said:
i think you need more than just to replace the stem to get enough height for your front end. i say replace the steerer with longer so you can add some spacers below the stem base to elevate it. maybe 20-30mm worth? that's in addition to getting a stem with a decent amount of rise on it.

i've gotten a few Syncros quill stem with a fair amount of rise on a few of my builds. not so much Syncros ahead/threadless stems though, but maybe because i've not looked for those as often.

I think your right about needing more than a stem, but I have a pathological aversion to spacers! ;-) however if I can just raise it a bit, it would make it that bit more rideable. Shorter too because it handles like a bag of spanners with such a long stem on it, how I road downhill on it I'll never know! ;-)

The bike was always a bit too small for me which doesn't help.

Thanks

Simon

Back